Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yikes! Dietary restrictions....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Yikes! Dietary restrictions....

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Mark - Interesting that you brought the issue up regarding fresh vegetables. The dietary guidelines I was given indicate that these are fine as long as they're "well washed". I had pretty much decided I wasn't going to rely on that. Greens in salads will be off my list for a while, whether they're well washed or not. My greens will be in the form of chard, kale, etc., cooked and put in pasta or risotto or something like that. A bout of salmonella poisoning would be a very bad thing for me for the next few months.

Since I know that you're an analytical chemist, Mike, I am sure that you appreciate the difficulties associated with getting rid of any contaminant, let alone one as tenacious as a bacterium. I am afraid that "well washed" would involve soap and hot water and I for one wouldn't view that as a decent way to treat my food :wink: Yeah, those green, leafy veggies cooked and put into soup, pasta, etc. will work well. Stir fries will also be useful, I expect.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Hmmm - braised shot ribs every day for months - think I could take that (actually, to get back to where you should be, any temporary discomfort at all is well worth it). But what about wine, man?

That would console you if you can drink it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Hmmm - braised shot ribs every day for months - think I could take that (actually, to get back to where you should be, any temporary discomfort at all is well worth it). But what about wine, man?

That would console you if you can drink it.

The alcohol issue is one that I'm not sure of yet. They're not giving me any while I'm here in the hospital (which I'm sure is just as well). I'm guessing that they won't put any restrictions on it when I get home, but how much I'll want to drink may depend on the constitution of my blood. I will also have to watch out for any lingering taste/smell alterations caused by the process. Those will be temporary but I sure don't want to take any chances on developing negative associations with wine.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Agree - take it slowly and if it agrees with you probably better to limit it, but a single glass a day is still something to look forward to!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Agree - take it slowly and if it agrees with you probably better to limit it, but a single glass a day is still something to look forward to!

Absolutely! That first glass should taste pretty damn good.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 am

As mentioned in your other thread - best wishes for a successful treatment! Braised beef and braised pork seem like the best way to go in terms of meats. Some of those southern style long cooked chicken dishes where the meat just falls off of the bone might work as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am

Having just lost an uncle to colon cancer a few weeks ago, I have the greatest sympathy for you Mike, and I'm very happy for you that if it can't be beaten, it can at least be lived with. And just think how wonderful a properly cooked steak is going to be when you get past this!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Okay, now I'm up to speed. Mike, like the others, I feel like I have really gotten to know you through your thoughtful posts over many years. You will be in my thoughts throughout this journey and I'm glad you will be keeping us in the loop on your progress and "dining" options. You have a great outlook on the whole thing and for that I applaud you. You have crates full of foodies and winos in your corner. :wink:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:49 pm

If you have not ordered from Rancho Gordo http://ranchogordo.com/ before now is the time. The beans are top notch and work well with long braised beef. Works great together in a crock pot, easy as can be.

Lots of goods vegetarian recipes out there. Considering the meat and dairy restrictions, sounds like a good time to explore them if you haven't already. I was shocked as to how quickly the meat cravings went away when I went meatless. After the first month, i never missed meat and I remained meatless for over a decade. Cheese on the other hand was something I could never fully remove from my diet, so good luck and at least you can have some cheese.

Good luck.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:As mentioned in your other thread - best wishes for a successful treatment! Braised beef and braised pork seem like the best way to go in terms of meats. Some of those southern style long cooked chicken dishes where the meat just falls off of the bone might work as well.

Agreed! I, for one, wouldn't be totally unhappy if I had to eat chicken and noodles (or dumplings) every day for the rest of my life.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Now that you mention it, the coq au vin we had a couple of weeks ago would fit right in. And I know just what you mean about chicken and dumplings, Jenise.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Jeez Mike, I hope you regain all your health in record breaking time. You're being much cooler about your situation than I think I would be if in your place. Hope you're allowed a little wine to mitigate your diet each day.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Mike,

Another dish that came to mind is chicken gumbo. Long cooked, well done, fall off the bone meat.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Mike,

Another dish that came to mind is chicken gumbo. Long cooked, well done, fall off the bone meat.

Great idea - and a very hearty one at that.

Lou - No wine for me. Even more discouraging, I hear that many people can't stand the flavor of wine at all for the first couple of months after this treatment!!! Now THAT'S scary!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Mike, my wife who is a registered dietitian thought of some foods that probably will be permitted: Stews of many types, meat loaf Jenises but substitute allowed cheese, pastas, fish stews,Cioppino, most forms of cassoulet ,short ribs. osso bucco pork and veal, lamb shanks. She says think of winter comfort foods. She hasn't worked in a hospital for many years, taught nutrition etc at a college in So. Ca, As she thinks and researchs a little I'll add on for her. Ok Mike will stay in touch if anything new.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Mike, my wife who is a registered dietitian thought of some foods that probably will be permitted: Stews of many types, meat loaf Jenises but substitute allowed cheese, pastas, fish stews,Cioppino, most forms of cassoulet ,short ribs. osso bucco pork and veal, lamb shanks. She says think of winter comfort foods. She hasn't worked in a hospital for many years, taught nutrition etc at a college in So. Ca, As she thinks and researchs a little I'll add on for her. Ok Mike will stay in touch if anything new.

Wow, that's great, Lou! Thanks so much (and pass my thanks along to your wife).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Mike!
My dad went through this treatment six or seven years ago, and yes, he is still alive and kicking. Did he avoid slized cheese from the deli? No he did not. Did he order his meat well done? No he did not. Did he suffer temporary loss of taste and smell? Yes, a little. He stopped having coffee when in hospital, because it did not taste good, (hospital coffee never does, but that is another issue...), but that was about it. Your dietician is taking himself (or, more probable, herself) a little too seriously: "What I say is just as important as what the oncologist says!". (Our patients do not see a dietician at all...) Does one today in any way notice that my father is still receiving check-ups from time to time and is still suffering from this cancer? No, one does not.

If the treatment leaves something to be desired you might want to ask your doctor about other options, e g natural killer cells, levalidomid or allogeneic transplant.

You will come through this, Mike. Many people already have! Feel free to mail me if you have any questions!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L

PS. Thanks Jenise, for making me aware of this post!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks so much, Fredrik! I'm glad to hear this worked out well for your father. From the way things have gone for me so far, I should also do pretty well out of it.

Really glad to hear your dad managed well without having to give up so much good food. I'll keep that in mind.

- Julia Child
Previous