The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

by TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Just noticed this in the WS:
MikeRobbins

about the passing of MikeRobbins, founder of SpringMtnVnyd.
I.....followed Mike from the very start. His '69 Cab (from the vnyd there on Hwy29 just North of Beringer, now StClement) was mightly impressive. Even the rain-besotted '72 was very/very good. In the early '70's, he made a LateHrvst CabFranc that was exceptional and lived for several decades.
I did a visit w/ Mike after he bought the property up on SpringMtn and refurbished it. Before it achieved FalconCrest fame. As fine a gentleman as you'd ever want to meet.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Great thing about that '72 Cab was that it was picked before the rain; it was a hot summer that year (my first in the wine business and year my first daughter was born). The Cab Franc was '73. I still have a couple of bottles of that. It's not really very good.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Man....

by TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Great thing about that '72 Cab was that it was picked before the rain; it was a hot summer that year (my first in the wine business and year my first daughter was born). The Cab Franc was '73. I still have a couple of bottles of that. It's not really very good.

Man, Steve...you're a worse wine-hoarder than I am !!! Which is about as bad as it gets. :-)
You're right..the CabFranc was a '73. I had my last one around '90 and thought it was still pretty good....along the lines
of some of the Mayacamas LateHrvst Zins of that era.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

A couple years ago a friend put together a retro of older CalCabs to show Neal Martin what old school Cali could taste like. There was a Spring Mtn Cabernet Sauvignon flight, the 78 corked, the 77 good, but the 73 was contender for WOTN in stiff competitions.

Last year had NV Spring Mountain “Lot H 68.69.LN” Cabernet Sauvignon (supposed to be a combination of 1968 and 1969 Heitz fruit sold off to help cash flow, with the LN standing for the oak treatment - Limousin/Nevers).Excellent.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm surprised you still had any of that lot 6869. I last had it in the early '80s.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I'm surprised you still had any of that lot 6869. I last had it in the early '80s.

Wasn't mine! At a dinner- host is younger than me (wasn't born in 1969) but worked for a wine auction house, not sure where he acquired. Very lively though.