Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Gifts / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Gifts / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 am

bsd
Gifts can be given on occasions or in recognition. They can be chosen with thought or as a random kind of purchase.
How they are given will effect the gift worlds more than the wrapping.
Have a good one; h
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: Gifts / WeeksEnd wine

by David Raccah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I have the Tishbi animal out and ready to enjoy, if that fails me, I have a 2008 Petita

Great Shabbos Harry and to u all,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Shavua tov Harry! The week before Purim... Will be hectic... hopefully.

Looks like Josh didn't want to make it a chazaka this past Friday, wrong call given what we had on tap... :mrgreen:

Friday night:

Flam, Rosé 2012: As with its previous vintage, made of 100% Cabernet Franc juice, it is also slightly brighter with a light salmon pink, almost orange-ish color. The nose on this wine is a classic fresh strawberries along flowery and citrus notes. Light in body with notes of strawberries, peaches, pink grapefruit, stony minerals and good acidity but without the bitterness of the 2011 that I disliked and a refreshing wine that would highlight any warm summer afternoon. 12.5% Abv.

Flam, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve 2010: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 9% Merlot from the Dishon vineyard and Kerem Ben Zimra in the Galilee as well as 6% Petit Verdot from the Mata vineyard located close to the winery in the Judean Hills' Ella Valley, 16 months in french oak barrels. The first kosher vintage for this wine and what a wine! WOW! Dark, almost impenetrable garnet towards purple in color, with on the nose freshly crushed forest berries, plums, herbs and dark chocolate. Full-bodied with on first attack spicy and juicy red, blue and black forest berries, juicy purple plums followed on the mid-palate by dark cherries and a hint of green olives and licorice, with a melting pot of cigar tobacco, dark chocolate, peppermint, spicy vanilla and toasted oak with nice, balanced acidity and firm yet plush and velvety tannins lingering all the way on the very long, elegant and seemingly endless finish. Beautiful balance and structure, a luxurious wine that will probably age well for a decade at least. Without a doubt one of the very best wines in Israel, what a joy that everyone can finally enjoy them as well. 14.5% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Flam, Blanc 2012: 55% Sauvignon Blanc and 45% Chardonnay, both from the Judean Hills and unoaked. A beautiful inebriating nose of tropical fruit such as mangoes, pineapple, lemon, ripe apples and honeydew. Light straw in color and medium-bodied with on the palate juicy tropical and citrus fruits, stony minerals and hints of freshly cut grass with nice acid and a light sense of sweetness on the fairly long finish. Delightful and beautifully crafted. 13% Abv.

GMW, Meron 2009: A blend this year of 72% Syrah, 19% Petit Verdot and 9% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged 16 months in french oak barrels. Deep purple in color with on the nose black raspberries, almost jammy blueberries, saddle leather and wet forest floor. Full-bodied with on the palate ripe forest berries, loamy dirt, roasted coffee, licorice, plums, with sweet cedar wood, chocolate and nice acidity, silky tannins rising on a long finish. Absolutely delicious and IMHO better than the Yiron of the same vintage, fantastic QPR. 15.5% Abv.

Tura, Portura 2008: From a bottle having been opened more than 6 months this Port-style wine made of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon was kicking and very good with notes of blackberries, prunes, figs, nuts and chocolate. Might very well be the best Portura I've tasted so far.

Wishing you all a great week!

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Harry,

Carmel Shiraz Kayoumi 2007. Needed lots of time in decanter to open up.

Shavua Tov
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm

2007 Yarden Blanc de Blancs - one of my favorite sparkling wines ever
2006 Recanati Special Reserve - ok but not as really good as about a year ago
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Four Gates M.S.C. Merlot, 2008 - suburb.
Castel, Rose, 2011. Need to accelerate my consumption of this - I am long and the 2012 is coming soon, although I haven't tasted it yet. Anyone?
Covenant, Landsman, Pinot Noir, 2011. Really a delicious Pinot and a nice change from the Ella Valley and Gvaot versions.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Castel, Rose, 2011. Need to accelerate my consumption of this - I am long and the 2012 is coming soon, although I haven't tasted it yet. Anyone?

Have a visit at Castel planned for this coming Tuesday together with Shimon Weiss, will report back.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:09 am

Went to my parents for Shabbos, and took along a Cantina Gabrielle Moscato for kiddush purposes (my kids like it) and a 2009 Galil Mountain Yiron for drinking during the meals. The Yiron is really nice (as usual). Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks coming up - gotta get through next week and Purim on "laborwatch".
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:59 am

Hi; galil mt ela 2010. Really really nice wine. Sour cherries and raspberry. Can't say I found the soft aspect Adam described. Would even go as far as calling it a big wine. By day tisbi viognier blanc, a blend that though it dilutes a bit the power of the viognier it seems to work. Nice mineralityr comes through. H
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Harry - Glad you enjoyed the Ela. To clarify, my observations of the "soft" aspects of this wine were in the context of comparing it to the GM Alon, not so much on a stand-alone (no pun intended) basis. Did you happen to try the Alon yet?
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Adam-And to think you were able to enjoy both of them in one weekend im impressed. And it also indicates the alon must be a blockbuster (with apologies to those who think one needs to spend thirty dollars or more to get this kind of level of wine) h
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Landsman Zin 2011 - without a doubt the best kosher Zin I have had. Really delicious powerhouse, but manages to hide the alcohol very well.
Shabbat Lunch - a bottle of Maredsous Blonde Ale with deli. Really nice.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 am

2008 fourgates merlot msc - excellent. A mouthful. I think this is my favorite four gates wine.

2010 bro deux- The first time I tried it, I wasn't expecting too much, I enjoyed it though I couldnt put my finger on it.
I still can't describe it but it's different and very good.

Sam m
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:34 pm

I had the Galil Mountain Winery Alon and Ela on Friday night and Shabbos day. I immensely enjoyed both of them but can't remember which one I liked better at night (that's what happens after you drink more than a bottle of wine). Shabbos day, the Alon held up better overnight, but they were both still very enjoyable. Kudos to GMW once again. If only more wineries can learn from GHW / GMW. They consistently put out the best QPR wine on the market. I bet you if any other company were to produce a wine such as the Alon or Ela they would charge $30 or more for it.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Great weekend with the opportunity to taste a few enjoyable wines:

2010 Shiloh Shiraz
2010 Gideon Petite Sirah (*Harry, it was pleasant, and not harsh like previous bottles)
2004 Herzog Syrah Edna Valley

All very nice!
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:Great weekend with the opportunity to taste a few enjoyable wines:

2010 Shiloh Shiraz
2010 Gideon Petite Sirah (*Harry, it was pleasant, and not harsh like previous bottles)

All very nice!

The Gedeon PS was good?! Seriously?
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Andrew Breskin wrote:Great weekend with the opportunity to taste a few enjoyable wines:

2010 Shiloh Shiraz

All very nice!

The Gedeon PS was good?! Seriously?

I know, right? It certainly wasn't bad.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 am

Shabbat Valentine's Day with a bottle of 1998 Corison Napa Valley cabernet; smooth and mellow after about 20 minutes in the glass. I still have one bottle left.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 am

Bravdo Chardonnay 2011, Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2008 and Psagot Shiraz 2010.
Slightly disappointed in the EV CF - less berries than previous bottles.
The Psagot Shiraz was excellent.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Yakov F

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 am

by Yakov F » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:36 am

Tanya Hallel Cab-Merlot 2009. Very pleasant.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Harry,

I took a break :)

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 am

Shlomo R wrote:Went to my parents for Shabbos, and took along a Cantina Gabrielle Moscato for kiddush purposes (my kids like it) and a 2009 Galil Mountain Yiron for drinking during the meals. The Yiron is really nice (as usual). Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks coming up - gotta get through next week and Purim on "laborwatch".

Never mind that. "Laborwatch" came to an abrupt surprise end at 1:32 AM Monday.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Mazel tov Shlomo! I would drink to that - but it is a fast day. For Shabbos I drank some 2009 Tishbi Malbec - more on that here. Easy fast everyone!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/02/21 ... eye-steak/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:38 am

Mazal tov Shlomo! :D Great news!