The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 '06 Piedmont, 2 '08 Burgs, 1 Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 '06 Piedmont, 2 '08 Burgs, 1 Loire

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

I had a meeting on 14th, so Betsy made Valentine’s Day dinner a day early. A starter of foie gras/truffle medallions, then spatchcocked cornish hens, roasted root vegetables and mushrooms, and sauteed arugula with the 2008 Matrot Meursault. Full, lots of citrus, light hazelnut/vanillin accents, young but should one risk aging these days? B+

Thursday a minor transportation crisis meant I had no dinner before meeting, so I got home late to find Betsy had saved me some stroganoff. I opened the 2006 Giovanni Rosso “Serralunga” Barolo (in 375 ml). Workhorse Barolo, firm but not scratchy tannins, plenty of red fruit, a touch of violets. Fine if not compelling. B

Friday I made teriyaki salmon, a napa/bok choy stirfry, and couscous, wine was the 2008 David Duband Gevrey-Chambertin. Continuing in the mode of the Barolo, another steady but not exciting wine. No overt oak, black cherry fruit with a little mushroom and forest floor, light tannins, B

Saturday was poulet bonne femme and cauliflower with pimenton, and the 2009 Pepiere Ch. Thebaud Muscadet. This is really fun- full and leesy, with vibrant acids, quince and lemon fruit, long. Oyster shells and sea salt, very minerally long finish. A-

Sunday I made the tomato sauce and Betsy made the meatballs and pasta, we had the 2006 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (need to look for lot #). Fairly big, but surprisingly approachable tannins, dark fruits, spice (star anise?), quite impressive. Sure it needs time, but very nice now. A-/B+,

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: 2 '06 Piedmont, 2 '08 Burgs, 1 Loire

by Patrick Martin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am

The 2006 Produttori is a lovely bottle (if young) and a terrific value. I "like" your note (in the Facebook sense).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2 '06 Piedmont, 2 '08 Burgs, 1 Loire

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

So PdB B is 099, which I believe means without riserva juice, but I liked a lot anyway!