The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Zin CarmichaelRanch '10...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Zin CarmichaelRanch '10...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Tried this last night as I was cooking away:
1. Ridge Zin CarmichaelRanch/RanchoSotoyomi/SonomaCnty (12% PS/4% Carignane; 14.7%; Bttld: April 2012; 35 brls;
Drk: 1/12-1/17-1/19: EB) 2010
: Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/blueberry/Zin quite RRV-like very spicy some dusty/OV light vanilla/Am.oak/toasty fairly intense nose; slightly tart very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin lush/rich structured/balanced some vanilla/Am.oak/toasty rather dusty/OV huge fruit flavor w/ some tannins; very long/lingering very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/framboise lush/rich/structured/balanced some vanilla/Am.oak/toasty rather dusty/OV finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs yet; a rather non-Ridge terrific Zin. A steal at $28.00 (ATP)
1. When my 2-btl Ridge ATP shipment arrives, I immediately rip it open to see what I got this month...usually more w/ mild curiosity than any real sense of excitement. "Ohhh...a Carmichael Zin....well..at least it's not a Carignane". I put one btl into a tasting tableau and usually try the other one in the next few days. As often as not...I just sorta shrug my shoulders.."Nice Ridge red..just that". Mazzoni/Buchinagni/Ponzo/Carmichael...generally nice Zins..but don't measure up to the LS/Pagani/Geyserville/Dusi.
When I poured the first glass last night..."Ohhh..that's pretty dark for a Ridge ATP Zin". And when I took that first sniff and that first swallow..."Wow...this is something different...not the usual Ridge ATP".
The Ridge ATP Zins usually speak more of Ridge winemaking than anything. But this Carmichael is different....it has an intensity and depth of fruit that's unusual for an ATP. Furthermore, it has a strong expression of RRV Zin and dusty/OldVine character. Though it's definitely a Ridge signature on this wine...it has more intense fruit than a Ridge ATP usually has. It actually reminded me a lot of a Bedrock Zin. Not your usual Ridge ATP Zin. Kudos to EricBaugher on this wine. I'm going back for more.
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Ridge Zin CarmichaelRanch '10...(short/boring)

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm

I thought you must have 75% Zin to label as Zin?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

'Tis True....

by TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:I thought you must have 75% Zin to label as Zin?

'Tis true....must have at least 75% Zin to be called a Zin. By my calculations...this has 84% Zin in it.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Sorry! Misread your post.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Interesting stuff, Tom. I agree that the ATP zins don't usually run with LS, Pagani and Geyserville, but maybe 2010 is different.

How do you compare the 09 vs 10 Ridge zins? It seemed that Galloni preferred the 09s.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well.....

by TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Patrick Martin wrote:Interesting stuff, Tom. I agree that the ATP zins don't usually run with LS, Pagani and Geyserville, but maybe 2010 is different.
How do you compare the 09 vs 10 Ridge zins? It seemed that Galloni preferred the 09s.

Well, Patrick......it seems like I'm liking the '10's better than the '09's...but I haven't tasted many of them side-by-side.
2010 was a dreadful yr for Zins and many vnyds got absolutely fried from the heat spikes in the Fall. Carlisle lost
their entire crop off some vnyds and Mike had to work his buns off to make good wine. Ridge seems to have
managed to get thru that vintage OK. Better farming?? Better job at the sorting table?? Competent winemaking??
Beats me...don't have a clue.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 pm

2010 was, as you say a totally weird year in Sonoma County.
Yet, the wines that have come out of it have been surprising to me. Very intense, generally having stronger varietal and terroir senses than is usual. Even from a couple of "drink it now at a party" producers, I've found refreshing zinginess.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Well.....

by James Dietz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 pm

TomHill wrote:
Patrick Martin wrote:Interesting stuff, Tom. I agree that the ATP zins don't usually run with LS, Pagani and Geyserville, but maybe 2010 is different.

Well, Patrick......it seems like I'm liking the '10's better than the '09's...but I haven't tasted many of them side-by-side.
2010 was a dreadful yr for Zins and many vnyds got absolutely fried from the heat spikes in the Fall. Carlisle lost
their entire crop off some vnyds and Mike had to work his buns off to make good wine. Ridge seems to have
managed to get thru that vintage OK. Better farming?? Better job at the sorting table?? Competent winemaking??
Beats me...don't have a clue.
Tom

I really liked the '09 Carmichael a lot. If the '10 is better, awesome, but as I'm on the 3x a year ATP shipping option, I won't receive it until next month.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Tom.

I just picked up some 2009 Ridge Geyserville (usually my favorite of the Ridge Zin blends) in 375ml, so I may have to crack one for a test drive. Sounds like I should put a 2010 in the queue as well!
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:35 pm

"Ohhh...a Carmichael Zin....well..at least it's not a Carignane"

Tom, feel free to send me your Carignane. I actually like it. Was going to plant some until the nice nursery guy talked me out it. Something about me being batshit crazy to plant Carignane on the East coast and if I was that stupid I might as well get some Grenache and Zinfandel while I am at it.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:

Tom, feel free to send me your Carignane. I actually like it. Was going to plant some until the nice nursery guy talked me out it. Something about me being batshit crazy to plant Carignane on the East coast and if I was that stupid I might as well get some Grenache and Zinfandel while I am at it.

And you did? :lol:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:

And you did? :lol:

Actually I only got the Zin. Still too early to tell.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 am

We opened this tonite to have with sliders. Just delicious. The fruit is gritty and chewy, not at all heavy. So well-balanced it seems effortless. I just kept wanting to refill my glass and savor the rough edges of this Zin blend. Terrific.
Cheers, Jim