moscato

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

moscato

Postby Harry J » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

Bsd. Interesting; just saw a. 2012 golan moscato with a 7% alc-something new. And non mevushal. Again I ask why can't they produce ared muscat like gan eden wines did many years ago? H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: moscato

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Harry, anyone with the proper equipment can produce a red muscat. There are 2 ways to produce a red muscat. The first way is to produce a white one and color it up with a red concentrate, such a s concentrated rubired juice (in the news recently because it is ubiquitous in the wine industry, though I have never used it). The second way is to ferment red Muscat fruit on the skins, which is how GAN EDEN Black Muscat was produced, from Muscat Hamburg (Black Muscat ) grapes. The second method requires much more in the way of effort. The big problem is solids, with maceration of skins, and the difficulty in stopping the fermentation with such a solids load. You press off the skins, but the small macerated skin bits remain in the wine, and provide a fermentation matrix. It is rather difficult to filter out such particulates in an actively fermenting wine. A pressure leaf filter is really not up to the task, though that is what I used. Vaccum drum filtration or centrifugation is called for. Centrifugation would provide a better quality. Problem is that centrifuges are expensive. I bought a used one once upon a time and refurbished it, but never was trained in its use, and dissolved GAN EDEN before I had need of doing what I bought it for- massively increasing production of sweet wines. I suspect there are ways to use crossflow filtration to achieve the same goals.

Many have said that Herzog's Black Muscat is not as good as mine. I can't address that, because I don't know how it is made. I can only say that Muscat Hamburg is obviously grown in Israel, and could be used to make good wines like mine. That it isn't is either because they don't see the need, or don't want to do what is required to produce it.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

An investmnt that with help from the Big Vinter in the sky would reap big profits. Port is too heavey. I've seen pretty interesting things float thru the wine market that's kosher. Tishbi barbera zin over a hundred dollars. Teperberg put out a red caLled kinor that's 14.5 and not mevushal. And the white moscatos keep cooming out. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Shawn Johnson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:59 pm

I saw Teperberg Red Moscato on sale at Chateau de vin today in the Five Towns
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 pm

The Red Teperberg Moscato is nice, bubbly (more than on a moscato) and fruity - not a serious wine - but a fun one
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 pm

My question is why the alcohol levels have crept so high... Moscato by W is at 8% now!
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Sara Bee - 4.5% - I can drink an entire bottle and have no cultural or sophisticated moment, but also not be buzzed if I am drinking with people
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum