This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bouscassé Madiran 1999

by Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm

Very dark red. The nose is a bit closed but still causes immense pleasure: dung, earth, raspberry, cassis, some green-herbal elements - ripe yet very savoury. The scents just need a bit of coaxing to come out of the glass, but classic Madiran it is! The palate is sweetly fruity, rather tannic but not as ferocious as expected, intense in its savoury elements and fine acidity, earthy, fresh and light in alcohol (12,5%). Perfectly balanced and lovely. Perhaps it is ever so slightly watery, but that does not detract from the intensity. Needs still a few more years to enter early maturity and will keep. But causes immense joy even now!

I drank (or drunk, will some native speaker please tell me??) this today with two dear friends of mine with whom I'm studying Arabic. We made some chicken defying the bird flu scare and paired this with it. The chicken had tarragon and other herbs and was fried in a drop of this wine. The food didn't soften the tannins of the wine but flavourwise it was just a perfect match. We didn't get much Arabic done however. The ladies wanted to refurnish my bachelor apartment instead. I suppose women are like that. :)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: TN: Bouscassé Madiran 1999

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:22 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I drank (or drunk, will some native speaker please tell me??)

"Drank" is right, otto. Drank is the past tense, Drunk is the past participle. Or something like that. Good work!
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:I drank (or drunk, will some native speaker please tell me??)

"Drank" is right, otto. Drank is the past tense, Drunk is the past participle. Or something like that. Good work!

Shukran yá ustádh!

Otto
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Shukran yá ustádh!

Salamat! Magandang hapon po!
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:Shukran yá ustádh!

Salamat! Magandang hapon po!

?????? Are you speaking Bahasa Indonesian and Tagalog to me? Wow!!!! ;)
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:55 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:?????? Are you speaking Bahasa Indonesian and Tagalog to me? Wow!!!! ;)

All Tagalog, actually. I think "Salamat" carries all around the archipelago in that or similar forms.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:All Tagalog, actually. I think "Salamat" carries all around the archipelago in that or similar forms.

Very true. Sorry for being so lax. It would of course be "selamat" not "salamat" in Indonesian. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Getting mixed up in linguistics again. (I'll have to stop the linguistic-speak. All forums I write to will soon be called wine and linguistic trivia fora rather than wine fora :) )

Otto
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

This bodes very well

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 am

I clicked to read Otto's TN on the Madiran (my favourite French-red genre) and the thread weaves off into a heady digression on Arabic and Tagalog. Oh, welcome back good ol' geeky WLDG. I am getting more and more enthusiastic about this latest development with each passing post! :lol: