The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Getting caught up on some tasting notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Getting caught up on some tasting notes

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:32 pm

I am starting to get caught up on some tasting notes from the past month or so. These are notes from a post-election day get-together with no organized theme whatsoever.

Some whites to start:

2000 Albert Mann Riesling Alsace Schlossberg. This Riesling has an enjoyable bouquet, showing a range of orange blossom, peach skin, citrus and poached apple aromas. In the mouth, it has a thick texture and solid minerality running through it, providing plenty of structure for some additional aging. The acidity picks up considerably on the prickly finish. A really nice wine with which to start the evening.

1995 Domaine Valette Pouilly-Vinzelles Vielles Vignes. On the other hand, I have no idea what to make of this wine. It is a really strange one. At first, there are some sweet aromas on the nose, like mango. And then some rotting compost aromas seem to come in to assault the nostrils. In the mouth, it tastes both like there is some residual sugar in it and it is also oxidized. It is just not anything like what you expect from Chardonnay. Yet, for all that, it is oddly intriguing, as it has a certain elegance married to the sweetness and richness. Weird.

2003 Cave de Turkheim Pinot Gris Alsace Herrenweg. This is showing a bit brassy in color, with a nose of pit fruits and grass. It is a touch plump in the mouth, with flavors of baked apple and brown spices. There’s decent length on the finish.

The reds:

1995 Château de Pibarnon Bandol. A pleasant dark nose of baked earth, tobacco, pepper, blackberry and a faint meatiness leads to a palate of various dark fruits and some bitter chocolate. It is medium-bodied in the mouth, with fine tannins present throughout and a good squirt of acidity. It seems to fade a touch at the back of the palate before kicking back with a decent-length finish tinged with ground coffee flavors.

2000 Philippe Charlopin-Parizot Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvee Vielles Vignes. Light ruby in color. The nose has sandalwood and smoke notes up front, with something like powdered chocolate underneath, before some classic dark cherry aromas take over. It has a soft creamy texture and fills out nicely in the dense, rounded mid-palate. The tannins are very light and it ends with a finish featuring both sweeter darker fruits and a decidedly oak-tinged spiciness.

1996 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Reserva Vina Bosconia. Light ruby color, with a nice bright sheen. When you bring this up to your nose, you’re greeted by a soaring and elegantly perfumed nose of mixed red berries, caramel, tar and leather. Very nice. In the mouth, it is bright and tangy with fresh red fruits and a nice earthy quality underneath. It is very well-balanced and shows both excellent cut and good length. It turns more structured toward the end and finishes with a clean, pretty finish. This is a very nice traditionally-made Rioja. I found myself going back to this bottle more than any other during the course of the evening to go with the food.

2000 Janasse Chateauneuf du Pape Chaupin. Dark ruby-colored. The nose displays soft red fruits, herbs, black licorice, coffee grounds and sweet caramel. In the mouth, it is tight and showing abundant chalky tannins, with some spicy oak poking through, as well. However, there is notable intensity here to the warm kirsch, herbs and sweet caramel. The finish is spicy and a bit grainy right now, so I would give this several more years to bring it all together.

1998 Clape Cornas. This young Cornas really impressed me with its very engaging aromatics of crushed raspberries, raw leather, earth, licorice and minerals. And it has a huge full-bodied palate presence to go with this outstanding nose. There are plenty of lush tannins for sure, but the whole package on this night seemed much more about the velvety texture, great purity and concentration of flavor. It veers toward flavors of darker, almost raisined berries and abundant minerality, and becomes chewy and even richer on the very long finish. While most would probably want to wait on this, I’d happily drink it again at this point in its evolution.

2000 Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Sant’Antimo Fabius. I had no idea what this was, but my guess was there was some Syrah in the mix, and indeed it is 100% Syrah. The nose shows white pepper, oak accents, black cherries and blueberries primarily, but there is also a weedy, stemmy, earthy element that I didn’t especially care for. I enjoyed it in the mouth much more, where it exhibits copious amounts of lush cool fruit, a rounded profile and ample body. The finish is plush and coffee-tinged.

1997 Frescobaldi Brunello di Montalcino Castelgiocondo. This has black cherry and a certain woodsy essence on the nose. On the palate, there is a dark berry and tobacco profile with some layering beginning to show. It feels big-boned to me, but holds a moderately elegant line. The finish has sweet fruit tinged by mint and wood. It should continue to develop nicely for another 5 years at least. This particular bottle probably would have showed better with significantly more air time.

2005 Mollydooker Shiraz The Boxer. This was said to have been decanted for a full 24 hours before we sampled it. Didn’t seem to matter. The color is inky inky dark. Rich dark plums and roasted fruits introduce the nose, but there are also creosote and eucalyptus-like accents. It is monstrously big and extracted in the mouth, with a big bruising presence that seemed to burn an impression on my tongue. I can see people being excited by this kind of wine, and it was fun to try something this overtly flamboyant, but to be honest I found little pleasure in it, even though I am not normally all that averse to big Aussie Shirazes. Glad I waited until the final wine of the evening to sample this one.

To finish:

1997 Foreau Vouvray Moelleux Clos Naudin. Burnished gold color. The nose is somewhat shy, with citrus skins, stones, and yellow apples. It is clean and gently sweet in the mouth, with caramel, quince, fresh fig and pie crust flavors. It has a reserved feel to it, but exhibits fine balance and a solid finish where the interesting yin-yang of sweet pit fruits and the bitter pits themselves fight it out. Overall, it is a refreshing, bright style of dessert wine that suited me just fine after the Mollydooker.

1982 Borges Porto. My notes on this wine are rather incomplete. They say “soft, mature, sweet, good QPR” and I can’t remember much else at this point to fill in the details. I can say that several people at the table were looking to buy some, so it was probably finer than my notes convey.

NV Kirkland 10-Year Tawny Port. I ran out of steam. Not tasted. I was told just this past weekend that it was pretty good.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Getting caught up on some tasting notes

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 pm

Really useful notes as usual, Michael.

I dont own many burgs but do have a lone bottle of that '00 Charlopin-Parizot VV that I wasn't sure when to open. Do you think it would benefit from more aging?

Ahh, '96 Bosconia. Havent had it yet but it's in my most recent order.

That Pibarnon sounds good too. We'll have to have a Bandol offline of these days. :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:24 pm

1995 Domaine Valette Pouilly-Vinzelles Vielles Vignes. On the other hand, I have no idea what to make of this wine. It is a really strange one. At first, there are some sweet aromas on the nose, like mango. And then some rotting compost aromas seem to come in to assault the nostrils. In the mouth, it tastes both like there is some residual sugar in it and it is also oxidized. It is just not anything like what you expect from Chardonnay. Yet, for all that, it is oddly intriguing, as it has a certain elegance married to the sweetness and richness. Weird.

Sounds like it might not have been intended to age that long.

But, if you got some pleasure out of it all the better.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote: I dont own many burgs but do have a lone bottle of that '00 Charlopin-Parizot VV that I wasn't sure when to open. Do you think it would benefit from more aging?

Ahh, '96 Bosconia. Havent had it yet but it's in my most recent order.

That Pibarnon sounds good too. We'll have to have a Bandol offline of these days. :wink:

Hi Bill. My feeling on the Charlopin-Parizot was that it will indeed improve with some time in the cellar. It feels youthful now and should gain in layering and complexity with say another 4-5 years. That's just my impression.

The Bosconia was from that PJ's stash David brought up for me to Charles' house. I guess I had very little patience digging into that stash! That wine could be drunk probably any time now--preferably in company with me!

A year ago I would have laughed at the idea of a Bandol tasting, but I've had excellent examples from Pradeaux, Pibarnon and Tempier this year and would welcome that tasting!

Michael
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds like it might not have been intended to age that long.

But, if you got some pleasure out of it all the better.

Rahsaan, I did a little research just now on this wine. Indeed, it was affected by botrytis (50% of the grapes) and could not be fermented dry, leaving 20 grams residual sugar. Beyond that, I am not sure where it "went wrong".
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:32 pm

but I've had excellent examples from Pradeaux, Pibarnon and Tempier this year and would welcome that tasting!
The only Pradeaux I've had is the '94 and that was yummy. I like the Bandol from Gros 'Nore quite a bit too.

Thanks for the read on the Charlopin...back in the shadows it goes.