The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ambullneo Syrah Howling '05..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ambullneo Syrah Howling '05..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Tried this last night w/ my pizza:
1. AmbullneoVnyds Syrah Howling SantaMariaVlly (65% Z-Block BienNacido/35% Rimrock vnyds; U; 14.5%) Greg Linn/ScottAmes/SantaMaria 2005: Very dark/black color w/ no bricking; very intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah rather peppery/cold-climate/spicy some toasty/charred/oak slight alcoholic big/ripe/powerful nose; soft bit alcoholic slight tannic/hard big/ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah rather peppery/cracked black pepper/cold-climate some toasty/charred/oak flavor; very long bit hot/alcoholic intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah some cracked black pepper/cold-climate bit tannic/hard rather structured finish; a big/ripe Syrah but not over-the-top; not showing much evolution and needs another 2-5 yrs; a very good Syrah in the style of the old AndrewMurrays; very attractively priced at $24.00
1. Ambullneo is a pretty well hidden winery. Started by GregLinn and the winemaker is ScottAmes. Theme of the winery focuses on BullDogs as best I can tell. Originally located at BienNacido vnyd, believe they're now up in ArroyoGrande. Their WebSite (www.AmbullneoVineyards.com) doesn't have a lot of information. Don't see any wines after the '08 vintage, so don't know if they're still in business. I tried this Syrah about 2 yrs ago & really liked it, especially for the price.
The Rimrock vnyd is SE of Laetitia, within view of the Pacific. Definitely a cold-climate vnyd, as is BienNacido; which comes thru loud & clear in the wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: WTN: Ambullneo Syrah Howling '05..(short/boring)

by Joshua Kates » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the note. Yes, they seem to be about bulldogs. I have the 2007 Ambullneo Vineyards Chardonnay Fang.

I realize I haven't tried any yet. I somehow thought it was younger. So yeah, maybe they closed.

Best,
Josh
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Gone/Gone/Kaput

by TomHill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 am

Joshua Kates wrote:Hi Tom,
Thanks for the note. Yes, they seem to be about bulldogs. I have the 2007 Ambullneo Vineyards Chardonnay Fang.
I realize I haven't tried any yet. I somehow thought it was younger. So yeah, maybe they closed.
Best,
Josh

Yeah, Josh. Had an e-mail exchange w/ Greg. Ambullneo/Nonno Zito (their Italian theme label) are out of business.
Greg is making wines now under his Greg Linn label now. Probably using those same massive btls I would guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Ambullneo Syrah Howling '05..(short/boring)

by Jenise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Too bad, I liked the pinots and particularly liked their big-but-restrained chardonnays.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov