Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you own a microwave?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Do you own a microwave?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes : 31
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Do you own a microwave?

by Bill Hooper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't for about four years. I can hardly remember what I used one for in the first place.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Do you own a microwave?

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes, and we use it to warm liquids such as stock to go into sauces, melt butter, cook certain frozen veggies such as chopped spinach and peas. Use it every day and usually more than once.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Sure. Mostly use for defrosting stock, etc and quickly warming leftovers. Betsy will re-warm her tea.
The only microwave "cooking" I do is occasionally steaming vegetables (last week I did a recipe I like where I steam cauliflower in m'wave, then stir it into a sauce I've done stovetop with pimenton, tomatoes, and dried pepper). Faster and needs less attention than steaming on stove.
I could easily do without one, but it has its uses.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Pretty much the same as Carl and Dale. However, i also use it make scrambled eggs - does a great job.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Pretty much same as Carl, Dale, and Howie. I'll add that there's a post somewhere back there from Jenise describing a great way to do brussels sprouts. IIRC, you start them in the microwave and then finish them in a hot oven.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Sure - heat coffee, melt butter, reheat leftovers, etc.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Piling on -- great for warming things up fast.

The only cooking I do in a microwave is to make potato chips.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Make coffee

Pour a cup

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

"und so weiter!"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Pretty much same as Carl, Dale and Howie, Tom, Jeff and Frank. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Eight seconds brings a glass of leftover red from the fridge to celler/serving temp.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Nachos, 50 seconds.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 am

Nope, haven't for about 5 years now and don't miss it. There is nothing it could do that my stovetop, oven or convection toaster oven can't do, and none of the radiation!

From the poll results, looks like I am the only one so far who voted and doesn't have one.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 am

Jim Cassidy wrote:Eight seconds brings a glass of leftover red from the fridge to celler/serving temp.

Interesting. There was once a commercial product based on a similar principle: frozen milk shakes that you thawed in the microwave.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 am

FWIW, I found that the BLS stated in 1997 that 90% of US households had a microwave oven. A Massachusetts study from 2009 says 95% of Mass. households own one. My guess is that the overall US pen rate today is probably in the low 90s (maybe as high as 95%) since Massachusetts is likely ahead of the US average.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:09 am

A bowl of salted in-shell peanuts taste better after 30 seconds or so.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 am

Certainly the best way I know of to reheat a plate of leftovers. Makes passable popcorn. Gives a few second refresh to not quite fresh bread. Actually use steam-in-bag veggies once in a while. Some mornings I'll break an egg into a cup, add a pat uf butter, S&P, pierce the yolk, cover with a paper towel and zap while I make a piece of toast.

But I never understood those who use it to boil water for coffe, tea, etc.

Necessity, no. Convenience appliance, absolutely.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 am

Fred Sipe wrote:Certainly the best way I know of to reheat a plate of leftovers.

I think it depends on what it is. Cold pizza, for example, is better reheated in the (regular) oven IMO. I think the microwave does a lousy job with cold pizza. There are other examples.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am

Fred Sipe wrote:But I never understood those who use it to boil water for coffee, tea, etc...

I agree if you're making a pot of coffee or tea, but I will fill a cup with water, drop in a tea bag, put it in the microwave and in 90 seconds I have a hot cup of tea.
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Cold pizza, for example, is better reheated in the (regular) oven IMO. I think the microwave does a lousy job with cold pizza

Regular to thin crust pizza are very good reheated on the stove in a non-stick skillet!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jim Cassidy wrote:Eight seconds brings a glass of leftover red from the fridge to celler/serving temp.

Interesting. There was once a commercial product based on a similar principle: frozen milk shakes that you thawed in the microwave.

Years ago when my brother in law and his new wife had moved to Burlington VT and we visited them (on the way up to Montreal I think) -- everything in their kitchen was new, and he wanted to give us a little ice cream which was hard as a rock. So he put it in the microwave but instead of xx seconds he input xx minutes. SOUP!

The first time I used a microwave was in a bus station when I was in grad school, they had various things like hamburgers in a vending machine (cooked but cold) and the concept was that you put it in this industrial strength microwave to warm it up. I did the same thing, minutes instead of seconds, and the cheese on my cheeseburger had all run off and made a weird crunchy layer on the plate, the burger was a shriveled black thing.

When my Dad first got a microwave he would do tricks like put a fluorescent light bulb in and turn it on, the bulb glows brightly even though it's not connected to anything. The funniest thing -- where we lived there were ants that got into the house, and once my Mom left some mashed potatoes on her plate and got involved with something else. When she came back there were ants crawling around on her mashed potatoes. She thought "well, I'll show THEM" and put the whole business in the microwave for a long zap. The ants seemed fine except they were crawling around much faster...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Make coffee

Pour a cup

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

"und so weiter!"

Exactly what my husband does, all day long with only 2 cups of coffee...carries it around with him, leaves it here and there. Funny guy!

I use the microwave everyday, for heating up my lunch, making oatmeal, melting, defrosting, heating up leftovers (carefully). It is a small microwave built into the middle of floor to ceiling roll out pantry shelving. It is just a little below shoulder height, and right next to a granite counter, so when I take hot items out, I can put it right down on the counter. It is a very convenient tool for me.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:Certainly the best way I know of to reheat a plate of leftovers.

I think it depends on what it is. Cold pizza, for example, is better reheated in the (regular) oven IMO. I think the microwave does a lousy job with cold pizza. There are other examples.

I with you on this one! But we often will make a couple of plates of leftovers and cover with plastic wrap for a quick reheat next day.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Make coffee

Pour a cup

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

let it get cold

reheat in microwave

"und so weiter!"
You've stolen my recipe for nightly coffee, try to be original.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 am

One more microwave story, sorry if I've told this here. To understand fully, you have to know what a brunoise is. Maybe everyone here has made a brunoise, but I doubt that so I'll describe it. Your goal is to take part of a carrot, a leek leaf, and a turnip, and turn them into little jewel like cubes about 1/32 of an inch on a side. The thickness of the leek leaf is about right for the height of the cubes. When you are done it looks a little like sand. So it is a lot of very fussy knife work. Then, this is a Thomas Keller recipe, you poach the brunoise in simmering water by putting it in a fine tea strainer and lowering it into the water and holding it there until it softens (and starts to smell good). You also make tiny strips of bacon by freezing thin cut bacon and cutting it up while cold. And you poach or soft boil quail eggs, and serve each egg in a silver spoon with a couple of tiny strips of "Lego" bacon and some brunoise, in a butter sauce. The dish is called "Bacon and Eggs" from the French Laundry cookbook and you get about one minute of wonderful amazing flavor when you pop the spoon into your mouth.

So once when I made that, we had maybe 4 eggs left over from the dinner party, and I had put them into a little bowl with the rest of the butter sauce and the brunoise. And I got up and said, hmm, that would make a great breakfast. And I put the bowl into the microwave and turned it on. Do you know what happened next?
Next