The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Slew of Savignys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Slew of Savignys

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Mark invited me to fill in with a wine tasting group with a long history as he hosted this month. Nice group, we tasted blind (but not for long)

First flight:
I was pretty sure #1 and #2 were Pinot Noir, but #3 threw me for a bit.

Wine #1
Red fruit, good acids, floral, nice length.
2010 Pavelot “ Narbantons” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B+/A-

Wine #2
Lightest, red currant and cherry fruit, quite pleasant.
2009 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune
B

Wine #3
Easily the funkiest of the bunch. Ripe, big, meat, leather and a bit o’ barnyard. Perplexing, I was thinking more Rhonish, but as it got some air Burgundy became a better bet. Really developed nicely in glass.
2009 Pavelot “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B+/A-

After flight, Mark revealed that entire tasting would be Savigny (he wanted to point out the value)

Flight 2
Bottles still covered, thought we knew now was Savigny, I thought #5 was from a much riper vintage than other 2, but apparently Mark had already said all 2009 while I was daydreaming.

Wine #4
Delicate, lacy, the most feminine wine of the night.
2009 Drouhin “Clos des Godeaux” Savigny-les-Beaune
A-/B+

Wine #5
A touch bretty, some oak notes, quite soft and flat compared to other wines of the evening, needs acids;
2009 Bouchard “Lavieres” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
B-/C+

Wine # 6
Full, ripe, a bit tannic, clearly needs time.
2009 Jadot “Dominode” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er B+

Last flight was fully revealed
1995 Ecard “ Narbantons” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Just a touch of brett, meaty, lots of floral notes, I liked more than the table. A-/B+

1995 Ecard “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Served a little cold as it was a replacement for a corked bottle. Nice balance, pretty fruit, good length. A-/B+

1990 Ecard “Serpentieres “ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Wow, this was beautiful. Round and ripe but with no hint of roasted notes, earth and mushroom, an unusual little iodine note that was faint enough to add complexity but not detract at all. Mark said best Savigny he’s ever had, who am I to argue? A/A-

Fun night. Mark finished by passing a 2008 Niepoort single quinta port, which I neglected to note details on but thought quite good.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: TN: Slew of Savignys

by David Lole » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks for your notes, Dale.

I like Savigny's as a rule and my favourite producer's are J-M Pavelot, particularly Simon Bize and Maurice Ecard with the odd offering that has occasionally taken my breath away from Leroy (Narbantons) with some good efforts also from Jadot and Bruno Clair (both Dominodes). Apart from the extortionist-like pricing of Madame's wine, this appellation still produces some bang for your buck.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

David Lole wrote:Thanks for your notes, Dale.

I like Savigny's as a rule and my favourite producer's are J-M Pavelot, particularly Simon Bize and Maurice Ecard with the odd offering that has occasionally taken my breath away from Leroy (Narbantons) with some good efforts also from Jadot and Bruno Clair (both Dominodes). Apart from the extortionist-like pricing of Madame's wine, this appellation still produces some bang for your buck.

David,
In addition to the producers you've named, have you tried the Savignys (or Pernands) from Rollin or Chandon de Briailles? And have you had recent Savignys from Écard? I've heard that the generational change there has produced stylistic changes.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Tres Beaune!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Quite fond of Savigny. (Almost) always presents a great value and usually an extremely approachable wine.

One wine I have to ask about:

Wine #4
Delicate, lacy, the most feminine wine of the night.
A-/B+

Was this ready when you opened and served it, or did you have to wait for it?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: And have you had recent Savignys from Écard? I've heard that the generational change there has produced stylistic changes.

More than generational changes I believe. Maurice retired, and due to retirement/estate rules leased his vineyards and sold his domaine name to a negociant. So the "Domaine Maurice Ecard" wines starting either 2004 or 2005 are not made by any Ecard. Meanwhile, his son Michel (who had been #2 at Maurice Ecard for years) bought some vineyards and sells under Michel and Joanne (I think) Ecard. So similar winemaking, but not same vineyards.

Hoke wrote:2009 Drouhin “Clos des Godeaux” Savigny-les-Beaune

I think that this had been open a bit while we arrived, and then was in 2nd flight. It improved in glass. But from beginning (of my pour) I thought lovely. I generally haven't thought the '09s have been closed down (though I haven't had many lately)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote: And have you had recent Savignys from Écard? I've heard that the generational change there has produced stylistic changes.

More than generational changes I believe. Maurice retired, and due to retirement/estate rules leased his vineyards and sold his domaine name to a negociant. So the "Domaine Maurice Ecard" wines starting either 2004 or 2005 are not made by any Ecard. Meanwhile, his son Michel (who had been #2 at Maurice Ecard for years) bought some vineyards and sells under Michel and Joanne (I think) Ecard. So similar winemaking, but not same vineyards.

Yes, Dale, you gave the more detailed version: I was just giving the Cliff Notes version :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
David Lole wrote:Thanks for your notes, Dale.

David,
In addition to the producers you've named, have you tried the Savignys (or Pernands) from Rollin or Chandon de Briailles? And have you had recent Savignys from Écard? I've heard that the generational change there has produced stylistic changes.

Mark Lipton

I bought Chandon in the nineties and was underwhelmed. Their 1995's totally lacked fruit and were awful, and the 1996ers not much better and cursed with too much acid, although they may have come around with time in the bottle - I got rid of all of mine.

Rollin - have no experience with this producer.

Nothing from Ecard since 2002 vintage. Liked his older style - rustic stuff generally but built for the longer haul. 90, 93, 96, 99, 02 1ers were all very good - I liked the Serpentieres the best, followed by Narbantons. I noted the change of ownership.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Had a new generation Ecard S-L-B a couple of weeks ago. Made Loring seem restrained. Yuck.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Mark, figured you knew, but was just typing because I like to (and other people might not know). One thing I learned more recently was (hope I have this right) that Maurice SOLD his domaine name but LEASED the vineyards (for 15 or 20 years). So sometime in next 7-12 years those prime holdings will return to Michel. Whose style seems to be similar to his dad, but who has been hampered by lesser sources.

I have only had one Rollin - a PV actually (I think courtesy of the good Jay M)- but quite enjoyed.

I like some 90s CdB, but think they picked up their game about '99.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Had a new generation Ecard S-L-B a couple of weeks ago. Made Loring seem restrained. Yuck.

David, Maurice or Michel and J?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I like some 90s CdB, but think they picked up their game about '99.

That's what I hear, although I forget all the gory details. I had some 98s and 96s and wasn't too enamored with them, but have been more or less positive about everything since 99.

Speaking of 99, I recently had a 99 Rapet Île des Vergelesses which showed too mature/generic for my tastes. Not at all like the 99 CdB IdV which is much more youthful and unevolved, at least last time I checked, which was maybe sometime in 2012?
Last edited by Rahsaan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Maurice
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

Nice tasting Dale. Savigny's awesome, and it's one of the few areas I can turn to for real QPR in Burgundy (along with Pernand Vergelesses.)

Sounds like I should be trying more Pavelot.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 am

David, that's what I guessed (I don't love Michel's wines, but not Cali-ish). "Domaine Maurice Ecard" now has no Ecards, owned by the negoce firm Bejot.

Salil, I'd add Auxey to PV and Savigny. Of course, producer producer producer.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 am

Liked the couple of Auxeys I've had from Lafouge - the La Chapelle in particular is fantastic. Though Lafouge is the only producer there that I'm familiar with - who else there do you suggest exploring?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 am

Salil wrote:Liked the couple of Auxeys I've had from Lafouge - the La Chapelle in particular is fantastic. Though Lafouge is the only producer there that I'm familiar with - who else there do you suggest exploring?

I really liked the Comte Armand Auxey 1er cru bottling in the early 2000s vintages, although haven't tasted recent efforts. The recent vintages I tasted of Lafouge were indeed very delicious, but almost suspiciously so! Young Cote de Beaune is not supposed to be that much fun, is it? :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm

It was actually Lafouge I was mainly thinking of, but I've had surprisingly good wines from Bouree. Of course, the Coche Auxey is really good, but then we're not in QPR land anymore.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Like the Nicholas Potel Savigny wines too. Also, they age rather nicely, although long aging of Savigny is not generally what I'm looking for there.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Which vintages of Nicolas Potel? Because Nicolas Potel is no longer at Nicolas Potel, he has a new business -Maison Roche de Bellene. Maison Nicolas Potel is some other guy. :)

I don't think I have had many of his Savignys, but liked the 05 VV, but in general I've liked his style and he had some great sources (his dad being a legend and all).
Last edited by Dale Williams on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Which vintages of Nicolas Potel? Because Nicolas Potel is no longer at Nicolas Potel, he has a new business -Maison Roche de Bellene. Maison Nicolas Potel is some other guy. :)

2004, Dale.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

yes, that was definitely when NP was NP. :)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Doing some confessin' here.

Hoke wrote:

I think that this had been open a bit while we arrived, and then was in 2nd flight. It improved in glass. But from beginning (of my pour) I thought lovely. I generally haven't thought the '09s have been closed down (though I haven't had many lately)

I yielded to my baser nature. Couldn't resist the hidden pun here, Dale. Sorry.

I really wanted to know if you were left...um, waiting for Godeaux.

Sorry.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Doh!
Totally went over my head (I confess I thought of it as the "Drouhin", so not even close to getting the pun)
Next