Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anyone know what kind of knife Giada has been using

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Does anyone know what kind of knife Giada has been using

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

on some of her newer shows? It is stainless steel, has a concave swoop on the top of the blade, that curves down to a almost square tip, The cutting edge is convex. It is a perfect chopping knife as far as I can tell, it rocks beautifully and is lovely to look at..

Just learned this is a target knife selling for $18.00, can't be much or can it? Target is a sponsor of her show and she has been using a lot of
Target tools on her show.....
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: Does anyone know what kind of knife Giada has been using

by Susan B » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 pm

For $18, I'll try it. :)
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Re: Does a.nyone know what kind of knife Giada has been using

by Drew Hall » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 am

It's the stainless steel mezzuluna knife. Looks pretty cool for $18

http://www.target.com/p/giada-de-laurentiis-7-stainless-steel-mezzaluna-knife-silver/-/A-14206385
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 am

Going to have to give that a go too.

And for those who may not know, these Forschner / Victorinox chef's knives are truly great for the price also:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... %27s+Knife
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 am

2 useless comments....

1. for some reason I can't bring myself to buy a knife at Target. Is that silly?
2. I thought a mezzuluna was a curved thingy with two small handles?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

Fred Sipe wrote:Going to have to give that a go too.

And for those who may not know, these Forschner / Victorinox chef's knives are truly great for the price also:

Danny Johnson is the head butcher at a market near us. He does demonstration "classes" on meat cutting. I watched him break down a whole salmon, several chickens, a whole pig, half a lamb, and a beef quarter, all using nothing but one large Forschner knife and one small Forschner knife. He says he never buys any other brand.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:16 pm

1. for some reason I can't bring myself to buy a knife at Target. Is that silly?
2. I thought a mezzuluna was a curved thingy with two small handles?

Not silly because that was my first reaction, as well. I love the looks of it and watching Giada use it, it seems to work OK. However, I did notice when she lays it down on the side of her board, it sounded a bit tinny.
A muzzuluna is a curved knife with two handles on each end, that is why I was surprised they were calling this a mezzuluna. Too, some of the other tools she is using are all from Target. Guess, I need to make a trip there. I know a lot of ladies that love that store....I hate big box stores and prefer a locally owned kitchen shop for my kitchen tool shopping, but they are expensive.
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I only wish I'd seen this post yesterday, before I ordered a couple of Wustof knives for our winter house. Those would fit the need nicely and I always have trouble finding a 10' chef. I will try them next or get some of these and pack the others away when we're not here. We expect that our son and friends will use the house when we're back in the Northwest and I hate seeing (or finding) what some people do to good knives: dishwasher, cutting on glass or stone, even using them in place of a screwdriver.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Are there two different lines of the Forschner Victorinox 10 inch chef's knife?

I'm seeing one 10 inch version for over $100 and one for $40.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Are there two different lines of the Forschner Victorinox 10 inch chef's knife?

I'm seeing one 10 inch version for over $100 and one for $40.

I'm not familiar with the 'spensive one! I've got a cheapie Forschner bought many years ago that I still use even though I've got a Henckel Chef's knife and a Wusthof Santoku.

The Forschner has more heft to it. I use it for things breaking down roasted chicken.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Karen,

I guess our instincts were correct!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Susan B wrote: and I hate seeing (or finding) what some people do to good knives: dishwasher, cutting on glass or stone, even using them in place of a screwdriver.

We once loaned our house to a culinary-school graduate working executive chef--IOW someone who should know how to take care of knives--who put our knives in the dishwasher, including some that have wooden handles. Not that they told us, but it was instantly apparent the next time I laid eyes on them. HUH?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Jenise wrote:We once loaned our house to a culinary-school graduate working executive chef--IOW someone who should know how to take care of knives--who put our knives in the dishwasher, including some that have wooden handles. Not that they told us, but it was instantly apparent the next time I laid eyes on them. HUH?

Just a guess: A man like that will go through knives like normal folk go through paper towels so why fuss over them?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:We once loaned our house to a culinary-school graduate working executive chef--IOW someone who should know how to take care of knives--who put our knives in the dishwasher, including some that have wooden handles. Not that they told us, but it was instantly apparent the next time I laid eyes on them. HUH?

Just a guess: A man like that will go through knives like normal folk go through paper towels so why fuss over them?

Or it could be a double standard at work: since you're not a professional cook, you clearly must not care about your knives (though one would think that that could be determined easily by inspection of the knives and how they're stored) so NBD to treat them badly. Weird attitude, however one views it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Or it could be a double standard at work: since you're not a professional cook, you clearly must not care about your knives (though one would think that that could be determined easily by inspection of the knives and how they're stored) so NBD to treat them badly. Weird attitude, however one views it.

Mark Lipton

You know what, even though I don't have another explanation to offer I don't think it's that. This guy wasn't someone off the street but a reasonably good friend--and he thought enough of my skills to rope me into doing some "post-grad" type courses at the CIA in Napa with him years ago even though I didn't have the professional pre-req's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 am

Knife????

Please don't tell me they're not real.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I learned today that this knife has been recalled....it breaks in half near the handle.

http://www.amazon.com/Giada-Laurentiis-Target-Stainless-Mezzaluna/product-reviews/B002XQB5W6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And in all likelihood it didn't hold an edge (or resist corrosion) any better than the Mario Batali knife someone once gave me. It lives in the garage and is used for breaking down cardboard boxes.