Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Squires rates "Library Wines"

by Andrew B » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Some older bottles included in this report. 2003 Yarden El Rom goes from 89 to 93, and 2005 Dalton Merlot Meron goes from 79 to 83!

In other news, the 2010s from Bravdo (and 2011 Chard) rated into the high 80s
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Squires rates "Library Wines"

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Great! :D
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm

LOL!!! He's finally beginning to "understand" Israeli wine. The Dalton Meron Merlot is an A wine straight up. Might take him a few more years to come around.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

by Andrew B » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:LOL!!! He's finally beginning to "understand" Israeli wine. The Dalton Meron Merlot is an A wine straight up. Might take him a few more years to come around.

He has tasted quite a bit of Israeli wine but scores very conservatively in general. 93 brings the El-Rom to the level of 2003 Yatir Forest. As far as the Meron goes, in my experience, this wine is going nowhere.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:LOL!!! He's finally beginning to "understand" Israeli wine. The Dalton Meron Merlot is an A wine straight up. Might take him a few more years to come around.

He has tasted quite a bit of Israeli wine but scores very conservatively in general. 93 brings the El-Rom to the level of 2003 Yatir Forest. As far as the Meron goes, in my experience, this wine is going nowhere.

I agree with you that it's not a wine for long-term cellaring. In fact, I'd guess it's already past its prime (I finished my stash a couple years ago). My previous comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but the 79 score was ludicrous and the 83 is still ridiculously low. The Meron is a very Israeli merlot, so his warming to it is indicative of his beginning to "get" Israeli wine. As far as the El Rom, scores obviously are only relative. Limited as I am to the kosher selection, I have no idea what he might rate a 96 or 100. Having said that, I don't think he scores that conservatively, as he's scored many Israeli wines around 90 that weren't even close the league of an El Rom, so to me, his 90-91 corelates with what most forumites would score A-. The '03 El Rom is undoubtedly among the very best Israeli wines ever. In the world of Kosher wines, it scores 96 at least. I'm convinced that Israeli wines are different and someone who has spent years scoring other wines will need time to warm to the Israeli style and begin to recognize the great wines. The mid-level wines are easier to score as they're more generic. Similarly, such an individual will have an easier time "getting" a wine like the Castel, which consciously mimics the Bordeax style (albeit with an Israeli twist) than something like the Dalton Meron. I think we're beginning to see Squires warm to the Israeli style, but he has a long way to go. Just my opinion.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

by Andrew B » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:
Andrew Breskin wrote:

I agree with you that it's not a wine for long-term cellaring. In fact, I'd guess it's already past its prime (I finished my stash a couple years ago). My previous comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but the 79 score was ludicrous and the 83 is still ridiculously low. The Meron is a very Israeli merlot, so his warming to it is indicative of his beginning to "get" Israeli wine. As far as the El Rom, scores obviously are only relative. Limited as I am to the kosher selection, I have no idea what he might rate a 96 or 100. Having said that, I don't think he scores that conservatively, as he's scored many Israeli wines around 90 that weren't even close the league of an El Rom, so to me, his 90-91 corelates with what most forumites would score A-. The '03 El Rom is undoubtedly among the very best Israeli wines ever. In the world of Kosher wines, it scores 96 at least. I'm convinced that Israeli wines are different and someone who has spent years scoring other wines will need time to warm to the Israeli style and begin to recognize the great wines. The mid-level wines are easier to score as they're more generic. Similarly, such an individual will have an easier time "getting" a wine like the Castel, which consciously mimics the Bordeax style (albeit with an Israeli twist) than something like the Dalton Meron. I think we're beginning to see Squires warm to the Israeli style, but he has a long way to go. Just my opinion.

I appreciate much of your above commentary. But with respect to the Meron in particular, I bought a bottle from the winery and poured it down the drain myself, so as they say, de gustibus non est disputandum.