The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fevre Jadot Thackrey Kenwood Beringer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Fevre Jadot Thackrey Kenwood Beringer

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Monthly blind tasting notes

2005 William Fevre Chablis 1er ‘Montee de Tonnerre’ – citrus, mineral and menthol hints in the nose, and a sweet impression in midpalate, but a clean dry finish.

1999 Jadot Beaune 1er – good colour, a nose that could be pinot but could be something else – it didn’t shout out it’s ‘pinot-ness’. Smooth wine with slightly high acidity, drinking well.

2002 Dom. Ch. de Chorey Beaune Vignes Franches VV – slight warmth in this sweet Ribena nose, along with some spice. Full bodied, ripe and enjoyable.

2002 Ch. La Martine Cahors Cuvee Particuliere – 90% Malbec and 10% tannat, this was a serious wine with dark colour, ripe sweet nose of spice and currant, tons of soft tannin and a nice lingering finish. Good show.

1996 Teldeschi Petite Sirah Dry Creek – a stalky cab style nose and as big well structured wine left us guessing just about anything BUT PS. Decent wine, no rush.

1999 Sean Thackrey Orion Old Vines – Another poser as it showed a dark wine with huge sweet slightly tarry nose with a metallic (not bad) notes. It was sweet and a tad simple in the mouth, well structured and medium long. I wonder what this will do with a bit more time?

1999 Kenwood Jack London Cabernet – vinyl hints in the nose of this fairly dark wine, resolved tannin, decent fruit and medium length. OK, but nothing like the old style Jack Londons. Everyone though this wine was significantly older than the next wine that I poured – they wouldn’t have made that mistake with an old JL!

1992 Beringer Private Selection Cabernet – sweeter riper mocha blackberry nose much more attractive (to me, anyway) than the Kenwood, a smooth entry into a wine with significant soft tannin and tons of flavour, with good length. I liked this a lot, which is a good thing, as this is the first bottle of a half case I have that I’ve opened since I bought it on release. No rush, at peak now. I have this in 91, 92, 93 and 94 – a vertical may be in order.

2004 Rivera Castel del Monte Puer Apuliae – made from Nero di Troia (add one more grape to my life list) the wine was still purple at the edges with a nose of sweet cassis, and great legs. Sweet fruit on palate and mellow in the mouth despite significant tannin. Lots of flavour concentration at the end. Interesting and meritorious wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Fevre Jadot Thackrey Kenwood Beringer

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Ribena?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ribena?

Black currant juice? Don't you guys have that down there?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Bill, no Ribena down here! But having lived in England, I'm familiar and agree with your description. Will post my own notes soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Good Lord, a vast Ribena-deprived wilderness!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:1999 Jadot Beaune 1er – good colour, a nose that could be pinot but could be something else – it didn’t shout out it’s ‘pinot-ness’..

I don't think Beaune wines, delicious as they can be, are ever really anyone's idea of classic/platonic pinot noir/Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I don't think Beaune wines, delicious as they can be, are ever really anyone's idea of classic/platonic pinot noir/Burgundy.

I dunno, I've had some Drouhin Mouches or Jadot Ursules that met my idea, but I'm not as bright as you. Old school Baby Jesus too, though I've been most disappointed last 2-3 decades.

Thanks for notes,Glad your Fevre hasn't succumbed to premox.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I dunno, I've had some Drouhin Mouches or Jadot Ursules that met my idea, but I'm not as bright as you. Old school Baby Jesus too, though I've been most disappointed last 2-3 decades..

Hey, you have lots more experience than I do. You make some good points. I haven't had a lot of Ursules, what I have had was delicious, although not my platonic ideal of Burgundy. Mouches was closer.

But of course 'classic/platonic' anything is highly subjective. I tend to think of rounder more supple and pretty red Burgundy as my platonic ideal. Despite the fact that I really enjoy NSG/Gouges even thought it rarely makes me scream 'pinot'.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 pm

2005 William Fevre Chablis 1er ‘Montee de Tonnerre’ – Steely and cool, textbook Chablis and excellent. Another reminder to self: buy more Chablis!

1999 Jadot Beaune Premier Cru 1er – Good color but not youthful; rather all flavors are completely secondary at this point. Pinot not quite obvious on the nose, but unmistakable on the palate. Drinks very well.

2002 Dom. Ch. de Chorey Beaune Vignes Franches VV – A big wine with some primary notes that generated a first guess of 'Pommard'. As you summed it up: full-bodied, ripe and enjoyable.

2002 Ch. La Martine Cahors Cuvee Particuliere – You liked this better than I did. I'm surprised to see the percentages, as I would almost have guessed the reverse. Purple-blue in the glass, opaque and extracted with fairly assertive tannins. Simplistically monolithic to my palate, much more so than the Orion, and I didn't care for it very much at this point in its life.

1996 Teldeschi Petite Sirah Dry Creek – my wine so not part of the guessing, and I was pleased in the way it showed. It was tasty, and picked up a lot of Dry Creek spice as it relaxed in the glass, and it showed like a 90's wine--IOW, though far from fully mature it showed interesting maturing characteristics vs. just "lasting", as some Petite Sirahs are wont to do.

1999 Sean Thackrey Orion Old Vines – Black and dense in the glass. Tarry nose with some anise, and a faint eucalyptus note developes with time. Massively concentrated on the palate with black oil-cured olive and some herbs. Desperately needs more time. Too bad I only had one bottle!

1999 Kenwood Jack London Cabernet – Sweet cedary Cal Cab nose with both dust and a hint of the Pledge furniture polish that could swipe it away. Resolved tannins, but I wasn't in the crowd that thought this the older of the two. Everything else about the wine, including the color, seemed younger than yours. I might have had the advantage of having the light/window to my back--or was it the new bright white walls? Your bottle had a much larger clear rim.

1992 Beringer Private Selection Cabernet – Black cherry with cedar and cheese notes, develops wonderfully in the glass. Big and warm, a real slow-dancer of a wine. My favorite wine of the day.

2004 Rivera Castel del Monte Puer Apuliae – Agree completely with your notes. "made from Nero di Troia (add one more grape to my life list) the wine was still purple at the edges with a nose of sweet cassis, and great legs. Sweet fruit on palate and mellow in the mouth despite significant tannin. Lots of flavour concentration at the end. Interesting and meritorious wine" Quite delicious. Was really surpised to learn that this grape typically does duty as fermented alcohol vs. table wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 pm

I am very familiar with black currant juice, but not by that name.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ribena?

A little Canadian lost-in-translation...