The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cornas and Hermitage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Cornas and Hermitage

by Salil » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Why is that almost every time there's a bottle of highly regarded Hermitage on the same table as a geeky Cornas, the Cornas seems to stand head and shoulders above in so many instances? I've had some great bottles of Hermitage from some very classic/traditional producers - and yet stopped paying attention to even a '90 Chave once when a bottle of Verset was firing on all cylinders. At another recent dinner that David posted on, I couldn't move away from a 1990 Robert Michel La Geynale Cornas, even with a wonderful, elegant bottle of '83 Jaboulet La Chapelle beside it. Am I just nuts, or just somewhat obsessed with Cornas? (or C) All of the above?)

And when a friend and I opened a bottle of each from two wonderful, traditional producers, my reaction was not surprising - no prizes for guessing which bottle we drained first. :)

2001 Bernard Faurie Hermitage
Still very young, but so full of promise. Bright red and dark fruited flavours, savoury meatiness, leather and earth all coming together in a package that conveys both power and elegance at once. It's still rather primary and youthful with a fair bit of tannin making its presence felt on the back end, but the balance is fantastic and I imagine this will age very well, it's a fantastic, very traditional expression of Hermitage.

2000 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot
This is just fantastic. The fruit's so incredibly pure, fresh and vibrant that it could easily be mistaken for a much younger wine, yet at the same time it's showing a spectrum of developed meatiness, earth and leathery flavours with floral and spicy accents around the fresh red and dark fruited flavours. Amazing balance, a texture I might have expected in a great red Burgundy and such length - just a stunning bottle of wine.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

Re: Cornas and Hermitage

by Kelly Young » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm

The wine that wine that is better (to you) is the wine that is better, not the wine that's supposed to be better.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I can't imagine anyone blaming you when a good Thierry Allemand is on the table, Salil. It's a game-changer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:21 pm

That's infanticide for a wine from Faurie but I share your passion for good Cornas.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Fact is Salil, you love Cornas. Not that ther is anything wrong with that. It's perfectly natural.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 pm

I think you're just CRAZY for CORNAS, and Humbled by Hermitage.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:18 pm

I think it boils down to what you prize most in Syrah: Cornas hasn't got the depth or majesty of the best examples of Hermitage, but it does have plenty of character, albeit often rustic in nature (Allemand being the big exception here). I think that part of Hermitage's reputation was built on its longevity, too. Even Verset's Cornas will fade while a Chave Hermitage or older La Chapelle continues to gain in complexity. That may have been more important to the English aristocracy than to us, though.

Mark Lipton