Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

wine Pesach

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

wine Pesach

by Harry J » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

B"sd. Intersting to go from a time of ad dloi yoda and to give to whoever stretches out their hand to an evening of specificly four cups where you can say towards the end of the evening I know One. And imagining DanielRogov looking over in cyberspace asking what does this have to do with wine. You tell me. H
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Re: wine Pesach

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Harry,

Had you left out the phrase, "and to give to whoever stretches out their hand," wine would have had everything to do with it. Wine can be the path to incapacity to distinguish, or it can be the path to knowledge of the One as distinguished from all else.

For me it is a bit early to think of Passover --- although not for my wife. There is an opinion in the Mishnah that one starts teaching the relevant laws of Passover only two weeks before. A friend of mine once asked, "How did R. Shimon b. Gamliel prepare his house in just two weeks?"

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

As a matter of fact I've started building up my list today for the seder.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:18 am

MY initial thoughts are:

1) A bunch of Shira wines (1-2 punch, counter punch, and both the 2010 and 2011 vintages of Coalition)
2) Every stray Dalton, Recanati, and Ella Valley I have
3) Maybe all my Francs - it is time

The francs and some of the Dalton wines would be great for Seder, non-mevu and lighter side wines
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 am

The francs and some of the Dalton wines would be great for Seder

I had a contrary experience with cab franc. As much as I love it, I once used it (I think Recanati '06, which I loved) for the seder and ended up with a very "tanined," dry puckered mouth by the end of the evening. I have since moved to wines a bit (not necessarily a lot) more flavorful, maybe more precisely, fruitier. Otherwise, I agree on non-mevushal and lighter.

I was thinking, maybe, of the new roses that are available --- Flam (although too expensive for me), Netofa, Vignobles David. Any thoughts?

Also, is the 2010 Shoresh a viable possibility --- especially for the later cups? I haven't tasted it yet, so ... is it heavy/dense or toward the lighter side (even of full-bodied)?
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

Speaking of rose I spotted. A california rose I think from shirah non mevushal 10%alc 2012 vintage(can't remember the particular name it was not typical). On 18th ave brooklyn. H
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

What is going on here! There is no 2012 Shirah Rose that has been released, unless you mean a Rose made of Shiraz from Herzog or Hagafen, though I doubt the Don Ernesto makes it out there anymore. Also, Isaac/Yedidya - did you really see a Vignobles David Rose - or did you mean you wanted a bottle of the baseline or reserve Vignobles?

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Kind of in response to IsaacChavel query it seems like there are wines I buy with me in mind and trying now more than ever to buy for others. Just pickedup a kadesh barnea rose 2012(cabfranc) and a teprbrg red moscato. For me I heard in the as they say grapevine galil mt shiraz 2010 could be around. Anyone taste it ?h
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:48 pm

The BR Rose - is drinkable - probably the only wine from KB that I can stomach. The Teperberg Red Moscato is a fun and simple wine - but fun. The Galil Shiraz 2010 is OK - but I am bored with all the baseline Galil wines - sorry.

David
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:08 pm

David,

Vignoble David does make a kosher rose, I first tasted it at the winery two years ago. This year, Skyview's Pesach sale list it shows the rose coming here. I have yet to check out whether he has actually taken delivery. All I can recall from the tasting at the winery is that it was wonderful.

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Also, is the 2010 Shoresh a viable possibility --- especially for the later cups? I haven't tasted it yet, so ... is it heavy/dense or toward the lighter side (even of full-bodied)?

I'm afraid the 2010 Shoresh would not fit your bill, a pretty serious wine with high acidity and tannins and full-bodied. As well, it's restrained not so fruity.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Hey Isaac - I knew he was making kosher rose for sometime, but I did not think it would be here in time for passover - great news.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

great news

when I see it there. :)
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm afraid the 2010 Shoresh would not fit your bill

thanks for the tip.
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Haven't decided yet - still a little early for me to focus on the wines... that said, I've plenty of the 2000 Capcanes Peraj Ha'Abib on hand that needs drinking, so I'll likely plan menus around that. I'm also thinking of rounding up my odds and ends bottles that need drinking up - though I'm also wanting to crack open some Shirah and Four Gates... so much wine, so little time. With my wife "drinking for two", as it were, I'm the only one drinking wine during the week and on any Shabbos without guests. Blasted my cellar planning all to hell these last 31 weeks or so.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 pm

At this point recanati cab reserve 09 and tzuba metzuda 09;both gifts(even though I paid for 'em). H
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Harry J wrote:At this point recanati cab reserve 09 and tzuba metzuda 09;both gifts(even though I paid for 'em). H

:?:
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

So far so good. For now:

Carmel Limited Edition 2008, Gvaot Gofna Reserve Cabernet Franc 2007, Yarden Yonathan Syrah 2007, Psagot Cabernet Franc 2008, Galil Yiron 2005, Brob Syrah 2010, Dalton Petite Sirah 2009, Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon VC 2007, Gvaot Gofna Reserve Chardonnay/Gewurztraminer 2010, Carmel Kayoumi Riesling 2010, Bustan Merlot 2007, Tzuba Metzuda 2009, Teperberg Sauvignon Blanc 2012, The Cave 2008.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 am

While I will try many wines over the course of Pesach, to me the challenge is finding the right wine for the 4 cups. The challenge is finding something quaffable that also qualifies as the good stuff.
To me the clear winner this year is the Shirah Coalition. :D
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am

On FB we were lamenting the loss of a non-mevushal black muscat that is low in alcohol, say 11% or so :(
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 pm

My family just drinks kedem for the 4 cups, but it actually makes me ill (not just offending my senses, rather, hurting my stomach). This year I've settled on a semi-dry teperberg cabernet sauvignon that is non-mevushal. It was in a catalogue offered as a fundraiser by a local charity to bring in from Toronto for pesach, so I'm not even sure what year it is or if it is part of the Chalil line. I had the Chalil a few months ago in the US, and wished I bought a couple more for the seder, but alas, we have strict limits on bringing wine back to Canada, and I had other priorities.

For non-4-cup enjoyment I'm still putting together a list. I have to consult the wife on the menu. There are a few desert wines that have been waiting patiently for a few years, as well as a Chateauneuf-de-Pape that might make the cut. I always suffer from the fact that a wine looks so nice in the rack, and I know that once I drink it I might not be able to get it again.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:43 pm

David Raccah wrote:On FB we were lamenting the loss of a non-mevushal black muscat that is low in alcohol, say 11% or so :(

I remember my father used to always buy a case of Gan Eden Black Muscat for the seders. It was a family favorite. Since that stopped a few years back it has always been a fight about wine. Still unclear about what wines will be consumed for the seders.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi Harry,

The early planning has reds that fall under two categories: Syrah or Shirah, with several syrahs lined up: Shirah's Power to the People, Hagafen Prix Reserve 2005, Flam Reserve 2010. The Shira wines planned, other the the PttP, are the Coalition 2010 and the Counter Punch 2010. Hopefully I'll also get around to tasting the Brobdignagian Grenach and the Besomim.

The whites will include a comparison of several Chards, Yarden 2009, Tzora 2009 and 2010, Hagafen Prix 2006 and maybe one from Four Gates, too. The other whites will include an Hagafen Prix Sauvingon Blanc 2007, a Prix Sparkling wine. Hopefully, the circumstances will allow me to have some from Midbar, too.

For a special dessert wine, I plan on going back to the Tzora Or 2006.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Josh Kramer

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

by Josh Kramer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Personally, I think a wine like the Alexandeer Sandro is great for at least one of the cups of the seder. Its not obviously a semi-sweet but has some sweet chocolate and vanilla notes and very easy drinking
Next