The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Kab 2011

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Kab 2011

by Saina » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett 2011 - 10% abv; 45 g/l RS; 7,7 g/l acidity

Dönnhoff has never been available for sale in our monopoly before this, so all the few times I've previously been able to taste them was in formal tastings. Naturally I was curious to try a whole bottle - drunk in quantity, not just tasted quickly - at home. One simple recipe that I have always liked with these semi-sweet Rieslings is to take pork neck and sauerkraut and a bottle of dry Riesling and put all of that in a pot and let it simmer on low heat for hours and hours and hours.

And yes, that once again worked with this wine. It has a really lovely aroma, going to the ripe and tropical end of the Riesling spectrum, but still fresh and fragrant and refreshing so IMO it hasn't gone too far towards that extreme. Quite rich and even a bit soft on entry; gets some electric mouthfeel on the mid-palate; finishes mineral. It seems like a pretty heavy wine for a Kab - perhaps the vintage? perhaps Nahe? perhaps Dönnhoff's style? I don't have enough experience with any of those to say for sure. But it was a tasty wine and I suppose that's all that matters. Except that I can be a bit geeky at times so I would like to know, since most of my German experience comes from MSR if these Nahe Kabs tend to be a bit heavier and seemingly less acidic and are Nahes always a bit tropical in aromas when compared to MSR or is that just a vintage thing?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Kab 2011

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for the note Otto.

2011 is a ripe and lower acid vintage. The Nahe does produce richer wines than the MSR, but in this case the vintage takes it further than normal.
Decisions are made by those who show up