Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's talk pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Let's talk pizza

by Jenise » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:How about shredded roast duck, hoisin sauce, and blanced sliced scallions?

Love that! But the duck is something I don't have time to do and don't have a take-out source for locally.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I am a total Reuben slut!

:lol: You need to visit Omaha, then!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I'll be interested in hearing how the pesto version works out. The best pesto pizza I've had is topped with nothing more than a garlicy pesto, mozz, and sliced fresh tomatoes. That one's done Chicago-style, though, so I don't know that it would work as well on a thin crust version.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
Jenise wrote:I am a total Reuben slut!

:lol: You need to visit Omaha, then!

I reccomended a deli here in Bellingham to Mike Bowlin, but sadly could only reccomend the Reuben because I never order anything else! Variety schmariety....

p.s. Will be visiting Omaha sometime not too far away. Have never stepped foot in Nebraska, so it's on target list.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'll be interested in hearing how the pesto version works out. The best pesto pizza I've had is topped with nothing more than a garlicy pesto, mozz, and sliced fresh tomatoes. That one's done Chicago-style, though, so I don't know that it would work as well on a thin crust version.

Mike, I made test versions already and we both loved it. The earthy flavors of the asparagus and mushroom was a great marriage on the first version that needed a bright note, and on the second that came in with the tangy goat cheese. One just had to be careful about spreading the pesto pretty thin, as it can overpower.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 am

Lets do Turkish pizza using lamb merguez sausage and a spicy tomato chermoula sauce with a sprinkling of mixed cheese. :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28 am

Jenise wrote:
Mike, I made test versions already and we both loved it. The earthy flavors of the asparagus and mushroom was a great marriage on the first version that needed a bright note, and on the second that came in with the tangy goat cheese. One just had to be careful about spreading the pesto pretty thin, as it can overpower.

Yeah, that makes sense. With my pesto pizza experience, it's hard to think of the pesto as a supporting cast member rather than the star.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Lets do Turkish pizza using lamb merguez sausage and a spicy tomato chermoula sauce with a sprinkling of mixed cheese. :D

I would like that!

But, of course, we're in Billyham where there's no such thing as lamb merguez sausage. ;)
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Lets do Turkish pizza using lamb merguez sausage and a spicy tomato chermoula sauce with a sprinkling of mixed cheese. :D

I would like that!

But, of course, we're in Billyham where there's no such thing as lamb merguez sausage. ;)

3/4 lb Umpqua Valley grass fed ground lamb 70/30
2 teaspoons mined garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked spanish paprika
cayenne to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground vietnamese cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon french peper (2/3 black peper 1/3 all spice)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons red wine
Combine. Allow to rest overnight in refer.
Saute and add to pizza as you would other sausage.
This lamb also makes one heck of a pot of lentil soup go over the top.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Mike, I've got all the prep work to do for pizza, salad and gardineria platter (all from scratch) for 60 adults. I'll have help with rolling dough and assembly at the venue starting two hours before showtime, but that's it. I had to draw the line somewhere. So the meats are going to be things I can buy--proscuitto and hot soppressata. Someone else in the hood is smoking the bacon.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:32 am

Jenise wrote:p.s. Will be visiting Omaha sometime not too far away. Have never stepped foot in Nebraska, so it's on target list.

When you do, let me know - I can let you in on a few of its charms! ;)
Previous