The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2009 Failla Pinot Noir, Hirsch Vineyard plus others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2009 Failla Pinot Noir, Hirsch Vineyard plus others

by Jim Grow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

I went to a wine tasting/dinner in Indianapolis last week-end and the above Pinot Noir, from the Hirsch Sonoma Coast Vineyard really stood out as great Pinot. Medium ruby in color with tons of earthy, forest floor and light red fruit notes, the palate followed with the same notes but a bit more reserved. One of those wines that you can sniff all nite. I wish I had more as this wine would evolve into something heavenly. ABV was %14.3 I think but bottle is still there so am not sure. Also consumed a 1999 Pegau Res. that was in fine shape and a bit smoother than the case I consumed years ago unfortunately for me. The 1998 La Fleur de Bouard was also very nice and with lots of life ahead of it. A 2007 Conn Creek Cabernet (special bottling for some L.A. sports team) was young but showing lots of potential down the road. We started off with a NV Brut from Taittinger, my first taste from this producer,and it was very impressive with lots of yeasty character and some baked dough. The 2009 Dom. Weinbach Gew. Cuvee Lawrence was opened after the Champagne and had lots of great pear flavor but was lacking in acidity and spice so I was a bit disapppointed in that one. Played euchre until 4 AM so the other opened bottles will remain nameless. Great food, great company and great wine.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2009 Failla Pinot Noir, Hirsch Vineyard plus others

by JC (NC) » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am

I think Failla's P.N. from Hirsch Vineyard sells for less than from Hirsch which makes it especially attractive. I like Russian River Valley Pinots but am getting more and more into Sonoma Coast wines. Also a fan of Taittinger. I'm rather picky about Champagne but that producer always seems to hit the spot with me.