The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Spanish 1988 vintage?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Spanish 1988 vintage?

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:19 pm

I recently made the mistake of sniffing around on an online wine auction just before closing, meaning I had just enough time to bid on a few 1988 Spanish wines without the luxury of time to look into whether or not that vintage or these wines were woth the risk. They probably weren't, but they were cheap enough that I bought them anyway. One is a Montecillo Gran Reserva and the other a Julian Chivite Coleccion 125 Gran Reserva from Navarra.

I've never had wine from either producer let alone that vintage. Can anyone shed any light on my probable folly?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Spanish 1988 vintage?

by Saina » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Never tasted any, but here's a link for Rioja's "official" vintage chart: http://www.riojawine.com/en/actualidad/anadas.htm

Taken, of course with a ton, not a grain, of salt, but still for the vintages I am familiar with, it isn't too badly off! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 pm

Thanks, Otto, I'm going to to bookmark that one.

Btw, also bought some 91's and 95's, but fortunately I didn't need verification on those vintages.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:35 pm

Jenise wrote:I recently made the mistake of sniffing around on an online wine auction just before closing, meaning I had just enough time to bid on a few 1988 Spanish wines without the luxury of time to look into whether or not that vintage or these wines were woth the risk. They probably weren't, but they were cheap enough that I bought them anyway. One is a Montecillo Gran Reserva and the other a Julian Chivite Coleccion 125 Gran Reserva from Navarra.

I've never had wine from either producer let alone that vintage. Can anyone shed any light on my probable folly?

I like 88 Rioja just fine. Not a stellar vintage, but a solid vintage. I can't remember having any Navarra wines from 88, but that was supposedly an excellent vintage for them.

Montecillo is a big Bodega, along with M d Caceres and Faustino they are the most common Rioja I see. Currently, their wines are fair, but their older Gran Reserva (esp. Vina Monty) are very good.

Julian Chivite has modernized drastically in recent years. Many of the wines are blended with Cab and are not to my liking at all. I bet that 1988 came before the shift, so you may have an interesting wine on your hands. Certainly, the quality is there with this producer even now, but the wines I have tasted haven't merited my wallet opening. Let me know how it is!

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:40 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Never tasted any, but here's a link for Rioja's "official" vintage chart: http://www.riojawine.com/en/actualidad/anadas.htm

Taken, of course with a ton, not a grain, of salt, but still for the vintages I am familiar with, it isn't too badly off! :)

Gott im himmel! Anyone who lists 1992 as being "good" deserves a smack upside the head.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:23 pm

JoePerry wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:Never tasted any, but here's a link for Rioja's "official" vintage chart: http://www.riojawine.com/en/actualidad/anadas.htm

Gott im himmel! Anyone who lists 1992 as being "good" deserves a smack upside the head.

Not a vintage I'm familiar with. But if we start criticising the list, I would like to point out the 96. Why not excellent? The only reason I can think of is that the compiler didn't want 3 in a row...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:40 pm

JoePerry wrote:Julian Chivite has modernized drastically in recent years. Many of the wines are blended with Cab and are not to my liking at all. I bet that 1988 came before the shift, so you may have an interesting wine on your hands. Certainly, the quality is there with this producer even now, but the wines I have tasted haven't merited my wallet opening. Let me know how it is!

I know the Coleccion 125 is intended as a Bordeaux blend, right? 2001 reminded me of a modern-styled Bdx, but not over the top. I've enjoyed the Gran Fuedo wines, wasn't aware they had CS.

Of course, my favorite Chivite has always been the Rosado- killer qpr.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
JoePerry wrote:Julian Chivite has modernized drastically in recent years. Many of the wines are blended with Cab and are not to my liking at all. I bet that 1988 came before the shift, so you may have an interesting wine on your hands. Certainly, the quality is there with this producer even now, but the wines I have tasted haven't merited my wallet opening. Let me know how it is!

I know the Coleccion 125 is intended as a Bordeaux blend, right? 2001 reminded me of a modern-styled Bdx, but not over the top. I've enjoyed the Gran Fuedo wines, wasn't aware they had CS.

Of course, my favorite Chivite has always been the Rosado- killer qpr.

I've never had the Rosado, I'll have to give it a look. The Coleccion 125 is (I think) Cab and Tempranillo... or Cab, Tempranillo and Merlot.

In any event, the only time I like Cab with Tempranillo is old Riscal or Unico (when it is under 20%).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:10 pm

Dale and Joe,

Re the Chivite, I think the label implied that the 125 is all tempranillo. Let me go get the bottle...yeah. "In order to celebrate the 125th anniversary of our export business we decided to bottle the best of our production from the finest vintages under this name. To make this wine, we selected the best tempranillo grapes from the 88 vintge, then aged the wine for two years...."

Joe,

Thanks for the scoop--those are better prospects than I deserve (especially for only $20/bottle), but certainly what I'd hoped to hear. I'll look forward to opening them after they settle a bit.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Upon further research the 125 Reserva has Cab in it. The 125 Gran Reserva does not - go figure!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

what price the Montecillo GR

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:08 pm

Jenise, I see the 1998 Montecillo GR here in Lexington for $24 and wondered what price you can get it for at auctiion. I am thinking that my price is a pretty decent price. TUVM.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Jenise wrote: Montecillo Gran Reserva and the other a Julian Chivite Coleccion 125 Gran Reserva from Navarra.

Hi Jenise,

I have had three bottles of Montecillo Gran Reserva from 1995, I think. I found them to be very good wines, full bodied, and nicely balanced. Perhaps a bit more fruity and new worldish than some riojas I have had, but excellent with food especially grilled steak. I think you will probably be pleased with your purchase.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.