The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Advice for Nantucket Wine Festival Choices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Advice for Nantucket Wine Festival Choices

by JC (NC) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm already registered for a Cain Five tasting and Harbor Gala on Thursday, May 16 and a Chateau Angelus tasting (now sold out) and a Grand Tasting session on May 18 but have not signed up yet for the tastings and seminars on May 17. I am having a difficult time making a decision between sessions that run concurrently (maybe my indecisiveness relates to my Libra sign of the Zodiac.) The Penner-Ash tasting runs at the same time as the Domaine Bertrand Ambroise tasting. I have been wanting to try some Penner-Ash wines so that seems like a natural but I also love Burgundy wines and don't have much firsthand experience with this domaine. I would have another opportunity to try Penner-Ash wines at a seminar on Willamette Valley terroir later that day but that conflicts with a seminar on Stag's Leap Wine Cellars SLV Cabernet Sauvignon that will include a library vintage from the 70's or 80's as well as more recent vintages. In between the Penner-Ash or Bertrand Ambroise tastings and the seminars is a Felsina tasting which doesn't leave time for lunch (I may have to bag a lunch and scarf it down between sessions if they don't provide cheese and bread at the tastings.) WWYD (what would you do?)
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: Advice for Nantucket Wine Festival Choices

by Jim Grow » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 am

HI jane, that seems like a complicated schedule but my first priority would be the Angelus and Ambroise tastings. Although the SLV tasting with an older 70's-80's Cab would be interesting, their recent releases have recieved poor reviews by the pundits. I have never tasted any Penner-Ash Pinots but you will no doubt have other opportunities to try their wines. Just my 2 cents.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 am

I would just hope for the snow to have melted by then!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks, Jim.

James, I do remember one visit to Nantucket mid-May when I was freezing. Hadn't expected such chilly weather and didn't have a heavy jacket.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 pm

I would go with the Ambroise as well. But if you get the chance, and you should, try some of the Long Island wines. They are very Loire-like and well made. Sometimes a little pricey but some of the best US wines that I have had. Cab Franc, Merlot, Chards, and Sauvignon Blanc with good acidity and some real appeal. Try a sparkler or SB with local oysters, some of the best in the world.Peconic Bay (their Chard was on point) stands out as well as Macari, but they were mostly all better than average. In that part of the world think "oysters and lobster". Enjoy.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

Not wine related, JC, but I have to say I love Nantucket and wish I were going to this event. We used to summer there at #5 Lyon Street. It is, as you may know, quite charming and I hope it hasn't changed much.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Jon Peterson wrote: We used to summer there at #5 Lyon Street. It is, as you may know, quite charming and I hope it hasn't changed much.

Probably just add another 0 or two to what you paid for rent.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:
Jon Peterson wrote: We used to summer there at #5 Lyon Street. It is, as you may know, quite charming and I hope it hasn't changed much.

Probably just add another 0 or two to what you paid for rent.

Only two? :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 am

Jane, the one time I visited the Penner Ash winery about four years ago, I was surprised to find hugely spoofulated wines. Plush, heavy wines with so much lavish new oak that they more of vanilla extract than pinot noir. I don't think you'd care for them any more than I did. That make the choice easier?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Oops, Jenise you weighed in too late! I signed up for the Bertrand Ambroise and Felsina tastings and the seminar on Willamette Valley terroir which does include some Penner-Ash wines. Will report back after the events. I am not a fan of heavily oaked Pinot Noir.