The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Condrieu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Condrieu

by TomHill » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 pm

A rather nicely done/interesting article by EricPfanner (who he?) in today's NYTimes on Condrieu, an area that doesn't seem to get much press for its Viogniers:
NYTimes:Condrieu

He is pretty high on the restraint/balance that most of the 2011 Condrieus. He, of course, bewails the frightening price that one must pay for good, or even pedestrian, Viognier from Condrieu.

Back in the 1960's, Viognier had almost died out in Condrieu. There was little interest in Viognier, save beyond Ch.Grillet. Most people credit GeorgesVernay for the revitalization of the Condrieu AC. I would also credit Calif's interest in Viognier and the ViognierGuild for being an important contributor in the late-'80's/early-'90's for stirring up interest in the variety.
At the RR'13 Seminar, I asked PatrickWill for what he attributed the revival of Condrieu to. He pretty much lay it at the feet of Guigal (he's their importer) and Vernay for its revitalization and pretty much dismissed the interest in Calif w/ Viognier for its revival.
Anyway, quite a good read, it is/it is.
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: NYTimes: Condrieu

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:54 pm

TomHill wrote:EricPfanner (who he?)

I know nothing about him but always enjoy his articles. They seem to be placed more in the cultural journalistic mode than in the dining/wine mode, and usually go into nice depth. He seems to be based in Europe, and that firsthand knowledge usually comes through in his pieces.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: NYTimes: Condrieu

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:03 am

I adore everything about Condrieu except the price. Vernay makes some excellent Condrieu. His Cote-Rotie isn't too shabby, either.

-Paul W.