The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Marcillac!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Marcillac!

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm

http://charlesnealselections.com/wine/s ... marcillac/

2009 Domain de Costes Rouges. 100% Mansois (Fer Savedou, one of my favorite names for a grape!)

Started out rather light and inoffensive. Not bad...just reticent. With some air, though, the "ferrous" qualities I have found in other (weirder) examples of fer-based wines came out more, but frankly a little more balanced and less weird than some of these other interesting wines from Southwestern France! Very meaty and spicy, with richness and minerality really shinging. An interesting and enjoyable and "different" French red!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Marcillac!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Only ever find Marcillac when visiting UK. Think Tim is a fan though?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I have had quite a lot of Marcillac when on business trips to France.

I did manage to buy some from Chambers a few years ago, but never bought more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:http://charlesnealselections.com/wine/southwest/costes-rouges-marcillac/

2009 Domain de Costes Rouges. 100% Mansois (Fer Savedou, one of my favorite names for a grape!)

Started out rather light and inoffensive. Not bad...just reticent. With some air, though, the "ferrous" qualities I have found in other (weirder) examples of fer-based wines came out more, but frankly a little more balanced and less weird than some of these other interesting wines from Southwestern France! Very meaty and spicy, with richness and minerality really shinging. An interesting and enjoyable and "different" French red!

Thanks, Brian. That's a new producer for me, a self-proclaimed Fer Servadou fan (I used a far cruder term in my original proclamation). I fell in love with the '08 Causse Marines, but also have had good luck with the Dom. du Cros VV bottling. I find a distinct resemblance to Cab Franc in Fer Servadou, though from year to year it can vary between Loire CF and St. Emilion CF. For my part, I prefer the lighter renditions.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Well, I sampled another producer at Terroir, the natural wine bar in San Francisco, and that one was much more powerful...there was almost a shoe polish level of spicyness involved. It was very interesting, indeed!

darn it...wish I could remember the name!

I've had and enjoyed Causse Marine also.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
I've had and enjoyed Causse Marine also.

It's too damn bad that the '09 was their last vintage of Marcillac (they didn't own the vineyard and the owner wasn't interested in organic viticulture, which apparently was a deal breaker)

Mark Lipton
Fer Servadou s*ut
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

The 2011 Domaine des Costes Rouges was quite nice too. It was my first Marcillac, randomly came across it while browsing at K&L. Will look for others to try.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Only ever find Marcillac when visiting UK. Think Tim is a fan though?

I am indeed; but even here it's not too easy to find.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

Domaine Du Cros "Lo Sang Del Pais" is available around here for less than $20. Very nice introduction to Marcillac. Philippe Teulier gets a lot out of that "rouergue" soil.