Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What would you buy?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

What would you buy?

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm

OK - you're in E. Dehillerin in Paris, the shop where Julia Child did a lot of her kitchen gadget shopping. You want to buy something just because you're there. For me, I think I'd buy a classic wooden spoon. What would you buy? http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/en/index.php
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: What would you buy?

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Not an answer but I used to see Julia Child in Savenors in Cambridge/Somerville from time to time (late '80s/early '90s). That was always fun!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Easy answer! Silpats. They'll have their name printed on them, and you'll remember Paris every time you use them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Hummm.....probably most of the stuff I could get here, or at least something similar. The Silpats Jenise mentioned, I have.

If they sell beautiful table linens, and place mats, that would be my choice as probably would not be able to find it here. And if not, I'd be looking at the knives, and I am certain a few unusual items would catch my eye.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Not an answer but I used to see Julia Child in Savenors in Cambridge/Somerville from time to time (late '80s/early '90s). That was always fun!

That's pretty sweet, Tom!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Easy answer! Silpats. They'll have their name printed on them, and you'll remember Paris every time you use them.

Great idea and I could get some for my daughter, too.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hummm.....probably most of the stuff I could get here, or at least something similar. The Silpats Jenise mentioned, I have.

If they sell beautiful table linens, and place mats, that would be my choice as probably would not be able to find it here. And if not, I'd be looking at the knives, and I am certain a few unusual items would catch my eye.

I hadn't even thought of linens! Knives, yes, another great idea especially since I expect to check one bag for the trip home.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I bought my set of heavy-gauge inox-lined copper pans there, and also a mandoline.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm

An 8" saute pan and a wire whisk, sans doubt!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

I would be very tempted to splurge on a piece of copper cookware as we get a lot of use out of the few we have now. And heck, every time I use our 10" copper saute pan, I think about Overstock.com. I'm sure a piece from Dehillerin would always remind of Paris.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hummm.....probably most of the stuff I could get here, or at least something similar. The Silpats Jenise mentioned, I have.

But are your Silpats stamped Dehillerin? Mine came from Sur la Table, and they have that company name printed on them in big letters. A friend of mine bought some at Dehillerin, and hers have that name stamped on them. An instant and worthy souvenir--I'd toss my Sur la Tables (not that I set any store by that name, it's just where I bought them) in a heartbeat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Jenise wrote:

But are your Silpats stamped Dehillerin? Mine came from Sur la Table, and they have that company name printed on them in big letters. A friend of mine bought some at Dehillerin, and hers have that name stamped on them. An instant and worthy souvenir--I'd toss my Sur la Tables (not that I set any store by that name, it's just where I bought them) in a heartbeat.

Funny, I had to go look at what mine say. "Exopat Matfer Made in France. I've had them for years and love them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 am

Karen/NoCA wrote: Funny, I had to go look at what mine say. "Exopat Matfer Made in France. I've had them for years and love them.

So the Silpats I mentioned, you don't have after all. I wasn't suggesting just any Silpat!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote: Funny, I had to go look at what mine say. "Exopat Matfer Made in France. I've had them for years and love them.

So the Silpats I mentioned, you don't have after all. I wasn't suggesting just any Silpat!

O,K in going back over the posts I see this comment I made. "The Silpats Jenise mentioned, I have." I was refering to your comment about Silpat and wondered what my cooking mats had on them. I didn't really pay any attention to what was on there. Brand names and store brands are not important to me....many products are made by the same company anyway, but are ordered with a company name imprinted on them because for some people that is what they want.

I have found this to be true with OTC meds....same product, different name. Also, with clothes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:

O,K in going back over the posts I see this comment I made. "The Silpats Jenise mentioned, I have." I was refering to your comment about Silpat and wondered what my cooking mats had on them. I didn't really pay any attention to what was on there. Brand names and store brands are not important to me....many products are made by the same company anyway, but are ordered with a company name imprinted on them because for some people that is what they want.

I have found this to be true with OTC meds....same product, different name. Also, with clothes.

Oh sure. I get all that. I'm not talking about brand equivalence or advocating snobbery, I'm talking about souvenirs. And for me and lots of other people, a Delliherin Silpat would be the coolest Silpat in the world.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:57 pm

My husband has a dear friend who's wife flies to France with her girlfriends just to shop for a few days. Maybe you will have to get a group together and fly over for a week of adventure. It would be fun to pick up your mat then!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 am

Karen, wouldn't that be great? I know about such people. Unfortunately, I'll never be one of them. I hardly ever even go out to lunch with the girls let alone leave the state!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm

A copper and brass couscousier.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:16 am

Couscoussier - I had to look that one up!