The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 2002

by Saina » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:08 pm

Salmon pasta again. A fine pairing but would have been better if this wine were older! (Why do so few tasting notes mention what the wine was imbibed with?)

• 2002 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (4/13/2006)
    Slightly gold. The nose is a touch oaky, but not over-oaked, with nuts and lemon and even that hint of the bacon I often find in apellations with Montrachet in the name. The palate is like a coiled up spring: tight and with much energy in reserve. Lovely acidity backs up ripe fruit but this is a savoury rather than a fruit forward wine. There is much citrus - this is very young. The aftertaste is long and it opens up like the cliché of the peacock's tail and it is even a touch mineral unlike the taste itself. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: TN: Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 2002

by James Roscoe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Otto,
I love this note. It has action. Few describers give the action of the wine. Great job here. I will have to look for this one and put it away for a few years.
Cheers!
James Rosoce
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:04 am

James Roscoe wrote:Otto,
I love this note. It has action. Few describers give the action of the wine. Great job here. I will have to look for this one and put it away for a few years.
Cheers!
James Rosoce

Thanks James! I actually don't like my notes - I find them dreadfully dull. I think that verbs are much more evocative than adjectives, yet I never manage to use verbs as much as I'd like to. Hence, I'm more than a little surprised that you say this note has "action"!!!! But thanks for the encouragement - sometimes I get so disillusioned with my notes that I think about stopping taking them. :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Otto,
I always read your notes, here and elsewhere. You do a great job. Keep up the good work and keep drinking the good stuff!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Otto, I'm with James. A "coiled up spring" is a great descriptor. But, bacon in Montrachet? I don't get to drink many Montrachets, so inexperience could be a factor, but I can't relate 'bacon' to chardonnay, even the fat, low-acid, high toast California style. What do you suppose gives a bacon element to the Montrachet for you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Thanks both of you! Jenise, I'll admit bacon is a very subjective term probably one that I made up when I couldn't come up with anything else better suiting. What I mean is bacon before it is fried. It has - at least in the pseudo-bacon available here - an almost juicy smell but with hints of smoke and salt. I guess it is just the essence of the grape mixed with judicious oaking that causes the scent as if I try to deconstruct it in my mind I do see both oak related and fruit related smells in the descriptor that I call "bacon". Ok, ok, here I get too verbose again. It is funny though, that I rarely get bacon in other apellations and almost never elsewhere that Burgundy. Maybe some "terroir" elements there also - though I'm becoming less and less convinced that there is any "terroir" at all in its usual definitions. But that's another discussion.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:07 am

I know the raw-bacon aspect of Chassagne (and its neighbor, Puligny) that Otto is describing. I can't really put it in words any better than he did. It's the kind of olfactory sensation that, when you try to put your thumb on it, it scoots away like a drop of mercury.

-Paul W.