The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNR - Burgundy Recommendation - Maison Romanee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

TNR - Burgundy Recommendation - Maison Romanee

by ChaimShraga » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm

If you love the late Rene Engel's wines, you should at least like Oronce de Beler's Maison Romanee.

La Maison Romane is the brain and love child of Oronce de Beler, wine writer turned biodynamic wine maker. Oronce doesn't own any parcels, instead he tends the vineyards of some esteemed, like-minded names in Burgundy, with his two horses, in exchange for fruit, which he then elevates very non-intrusively in his tiny cellar in Vosne.

The two wines I've tasted really appealed to me, in the same way Engel's wines did. Very individualistic and non-conformist.

La Maison Romane, Pommard Premier Cru, Largillere, 2010

45-65 year old vine, no new barrels. Funky red fruit, languidly ripe, with a mineral strain. Reservedly wild and individualistic. The local importer remarked that he finds a lot of Vosne in this wine, seeing as it was fermented in Vosne, with Vosne yeasts. Maybe so. I still get a lot of Apollonian muscles of Pommard.

La Maison Romane, Corton Grand Cru, Perrieres, 2008

Anarchy in the Cote de Beaune. There is something so wild and out of the box here, that descriptors are useless, but I will try. Limpid, juicy fruit that thrives on an indifference to putting out. Exotic spices. Angles, mirrors and smoke, and a pale color not unlike that found in a Leroy or an Engel. This is the first Corton I've tasted worthy of the Grand Cru label. Chapeau!
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com