The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'93 Beaux Freres pinot & '00 Rochioli sauv blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mr. Hucko

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:41 pm

'93 Beaux Freres pinot & '00 Rochioli sauv blanc

by Mr. Hucko » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:05 pm

The B.F.: 2nd bottle in two weeks, both consistent. 13 years old and in GREAT SHAPE!

I think this is an OR bottling, maybe Willamette Vallley. IAE, beautiful nose -- Burgundian, if you will (or even if you won't). A lesson in the (d)evolution of new world pinot: this is very restrained by today's standards, so I really liked it: beautifully structured, complete wine. Flavors don't seem to be in decline, but I wouldn't wait for anything to change or evolve. A middleweight pinot in terms of intensity; rich and full but not fruit-forwad. I can't think of a Burgundian or CA counterpart; maybe good OR pinot really is sui generis.

The Rochioli is beautifully made wine that I just don't get: noticeable but integrated oak, and it has, to me, absolutely no varietal character. Neither fat nor flabby, with fine structure, but there's no there there. I think I'd rather drink the Clos Roche Blanche Touraine that's in my fridge, and isn't that a sauv blanc?

BTW, is the Robin Garr who runs this place the one who had another site on the web, or is this the one who, with longterm companion Jim Kronman (c.f.: Brokeback Vineyard), once ran a Compuserve forum? TIA.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: '93 Beaux Freres pinot & '00 Rochioli sauv blanc

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Mr. Hucko wrote:BTW, is the Robin Garr who runs this place the one who had another site on the web, or is this the one who, with longterm companion Jim Kronman (c.f.: Brokeback Vineyard), once ran a Compuserve forum? TIA.

Yeah, except that Robin COULD quit him....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov