Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: Barkan Assemblage Tzafit 2010

by Pinchas L » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 pm

I finally got a chance to taste this wine, which is made from an exotic blend of grapes, too bad the name Coalition is already taken, or I would have suggested it. But although the grapes going into the blend are exotic, making it the first time I tasted a wine containing any Marselan--let alone 53%--or Caladoc, the wine itself isn't all that weird. To me the best known of the four grapes making up the blend is Carignan, the grape with the smallest physical presence, contributing only 12%, yet I feel as though all four grapes are quite similar in profile, since the wine has the overall feel of a Carignan. If anything the body is a bid heavier than the Israeli Carignan I've had. The fourth component is Pinotage, its share of the blend is 15%. The fruit is expressive and bright, with fresh flavors of cherry and raspberry, to the point it is buoyant and vibrant. There are clearly detectable traces of sweetness to the wine, though it is technically still accurately categorized as dry wine, but enough that I think some would find it too sweet to their tastes. Its 14% AbV is very well contained. Overall, it is a fun, if not complex wine, one I'd pair with lighter fare such as fish, chicken or even pizza, but not one I'd use with a serious cut of beef. B-/na/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: WTN: Barkan Assemblage Tzafit 2010

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey Pinchas did not care at all for it - it is a shame as the 2009 was much nicer - but such is life :-( Way too sweet, overripe, and new world, and with little structure and joy. Gone were all the wonderful orange and red fruit - now it is a hodgepodge of aromas andd flavors with a clear and present underpinning of overly sweet flavors - no go.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I have to agree with David. I tried it when I was in Israel last month. I was not impressed.

Sam
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Agree with David as well. Loved the 09 but disliked the 10 completely.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Told the Pinotage is the Issue.. And this is why no Pinotage Sup 2008,09 & 10 & 11 the grapes were not as good as 07'
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Told the Pinotage is the Issue.. And this is why no Pinotage Sup 2008,09 & 10 & 11 the grapes were not as good as 07'

Please allow me to correct this statement as there is a 2008 Superieur Pinota (not tasted it yet) ge and it's reached some of the shelves in Israel. Having said that, I'm not aware whether or not it was made in the following years.

Best,

GG
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Thank you... Did not know about the 08'

Yet the Winemaker said 09', 10' and 11' are a no go!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

YossiD

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 am

by YossiD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I agree with the consensus. I tried the Assemblage Tzafit 2010 at the Grape-Man Wine Meets Port event at Jaffa port last week and was completely unimpressed. For an everyday wine I wouldn't mind it now and then, but considering the price I'll give it a miss.

To be honest I didn't much care for it either when I first tried it in 2011 at Sommelier, and I believe that was the 2009 that received wide praise. I suppose this just isn't a blend for me.