Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Isolate / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:49 am

b"sd
There are times when one feels like there's so much to deal with in life.And the feeling can be overwelming.If there are issues to deal with then to be constructive one has to isolate an issue and work on it.As the addage goes you can't (ussualy)effectively do two things at once.
We should never know from it but there are times when one isn't well and due to concern of contamination needs to be alone.
And there are times when we choose voluntarily to be alone so as to work on our selves and/or peace of mind.And thats fine.
Its the times I cause someone else to feel unnecesarily isolated that needs to be stringently avoided.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

Re: Isolate / WeeksEnd wine

by Z Spigelman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Dalton Alma Bordeaux Blend 2009 and Ella Valley Pinot Noir 2008.
Shabbat lunch - Tavor Adama Roussanne 2012 and Recanati Petite Sirah/Zinfandel Reserve 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Shavua Tov Harry,

I attended Friday a special tasting of about 35 or so kosher Israeli wines including a few historic bottles such as Carmel Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1979 (dead of course, port-like nose, undrinkable) and Yarden Katzrin 1993 (alive, still good acid, integrated tannins but great mature wine, impressive).

Friday night:

Shiloh, "Legend B" 2010: This is not the final and official name of this not yet released wine which was a sampler I received from the hands of the winemaker Amichai Lurie when I visited the winery with David Raccah in December last year. I don't know which grapes were used nor how long in oak did it spend though my guess would be some Mediterranean blend like the regular Legend as I could clearly feel the Carignan.
Purple towards cherry red, with on the nose cherries, blackberries and smoked wood. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate juicy cherries, licorice and green olives, dusty wood, blackberries and a hint of tobacco and coffee with soft tannins lingering on the long finish. Could use a bit more acid but a nice wine overall and mevushal though it doesn't taste so at all, well done.

Shabbat lunch:

GMW, Yiron 2007: Dark garnet with on the nose crushed forest fruit including blueberries, boysenberries snd blackberries with a touch of pepper and mint on a surprising somewhat flowery background. Full-bodied with on the palate wild blueberries, cassis, graphite and tobacco, bracing acid as well as Mediterranean herbs and spices with a hint of toasted oak and dark chocolate on the long, mouth-filling finish featuring caressing tannins. One of my favorite vintages for the Yiron and this one is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Z Spigelman wrote:Hi Harry.
Friday night - Dalton Alma Bordeaux Blend 2009 and Ella Valley Pinot Noir 2008.
Shabbat lunch - Tavor Adama Roussanne 2012 and Recanati Petite Sirah/Zinfandel Reserve 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi

Hi Zvi,

Could you please describe a bit your impressions on the 08 EV Pinot, Tavor Roussanne and 11 PS/Zin?

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night:
2008 Galil, Meron --- very good wine, thoroughly enjoyed, but not exceptional

Shabbat lunch:
2010 Carmel, Kayoumi, Riesling --- delicious
2003 Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon --- wonderful, THAT was a special wine.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:23 am

Had a few good wines this weekend. The Covenant Landsman 2011 Zin was really enjoyed. We also opened a bottle of the Yarden SV Avital Slope Syrah that felt like it was starting to come apart at the seams. Apropo the conversation on the other thread, this is one of the only SV bottles I have that was purchased locally and it showed. Wine was still delicious, with fruit and oak in good balance (albeit a bit on the sweet side), but the wine didn't have the longevity ahead of it that the same bottle acquired in Israel did. Weird...

For lunch we enjoyed the White Tulip 2011 that was spicy and refreshing and the 2009 Yiron that was simply Bravo.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:33 am

Yossie - Sorry to hear about your disappointment about the Yarden Avital slopes. I have had the same experiences with multiple bottles of the same wine. The great showing that the wine is supposed to have is appears for just a little while and then starts to fade. Very disappointing for a wine that is supposed - at least according to Rogov - have longevity.

We tried a 2007 Carmel Limited Edition but it was CORKED !!@#$@
Then we went to a trusty 2007 Yatir red blend, which was good.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 am

Siduri 2006 russian River pinot noir - just right.
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Harry,

Friday night we had a 2011 Teperberg semi-dry riesling. Really more of a semi-sweet, and could have been mistaken for a gewurztraminer (almost had my German mother-in-law fooled!). Not terribly aromatic, but nice hints of citrus. I thought about keeping it a few more years before opening it, but then I noticed it was mevushal, so I didn't think it would last.

Adam
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Harry,

2009 Carmel Appellation Cabernet Sauvignon: I know some people think that this one's got to much sweet, and I can see why but I thought it was pretty good anyway.

Shavua Tov
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:39 pm

2009 Shirah Power to the People Syrah: My first bottle of Shirah wine since Pesach where I kind of overdosed on Shirah but my first bottle of Power to the People in some time. This wine is still delightful and was a nice accompaniment to steak.
Interesting note- when this wine first came out, it had a neat quality that for about the first 10 minutes after you opened it, it had the all the trappings of a white wine in disguise, presumably from the rather small percentage of viognier in it. That quality is now gone and this is pure Syrah from the minute it is opened. Down to my last bottle now.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi; had a celebration with many geusts and needed to have mevushal wines. Basicaly to my pallete most were dissapointing. Recanati syrah 2010 ok,but my last try to like this one.interesting that Rogov gave it a 91 and 2014. Binyamina bin shiraz 2010,starts with a nice mouth feel but then its gone. Rioja 2010 some liked it. Joseph river shiraz 2010 was expecting better and of course all the moscato's zion went fast. H
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 am

Went to my in-laws for Shabbos, so I took a Cantina Gabrielle Moscato and a Yarden Gewurtztraminer (my mother in law is fond of Gewurtztraminer - as are my wife and myself). My father-in-law was very kind and broke out the Calvados Boulard on request (I've had a hankering since a recent discussion on Facebook). Shabbos morning I had some Bunnahabhain 17 (a Blackadder bottling from about 8 years ago) which combined with an antihistamine to really knock me out.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Fri Night - landsman zin 2011, drinking very well
Sat lunch - recanati merlot 2011, nothing special and saison dupont farmhouse ale, crisp and delicious
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi Harry,

I would like to note that the wines I drank over the weekend had been uncorked at the beginning of the week, but the bottles were almost full and were put back into the wine fridge until the weekend, hence the wines might not have been showing their best when I tasted them.

Drappier Carte D'Or - This elegant champagne exhibits nice strawberry and white chocolate notes. It didn't blow me away, but served its purpose well. $50 (I know it can be found for cheaper, perhaps as low as $45) B/**/Y

Hagafen Prix White Riesling 2009 - The multitude of flavors were nice and crisp, with a generous amount of apple, pear and lemon on the palate. The residual sugar stands at about 6%, but was offset nicely by the acidity. Nonetheless, I still like the Lake County Devoto Vineyard bottling better. $36 suggested retail price, though members can get it at a discount. C+/*/N

Hagafen Prix Sauvignon Blanc 2010 - Overall it is a nice wine, showing considerable complexity with the interplay of fruit and oak. Personally I find it a bit unsatisfying due to its body that is too light. I've liked other vintages better. $30 at the winery. B-/**/N

Hagafen Zinfandel 2004 - The age on this wine performed wonders, adding layers of complexity to the brambly fruit. The tannins are pleasing, the spice teasing in the form of bold pepper and warm nutmeg, complemented by cocoa, chocolate and coffee. Its a medium bodied wine, that doesn't overwhelm you. I had it earlier in the week with a cut of prime rib, and it paired beautifully. This is from Ernie's regular bottling, and having six bottles of the reserve bottling in storage, I wonder how those will turn out. A-/***/Y

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Galil Yiron 2009 - always love the Yiron wines and this one did not disappoint
Last edited by Isaac C on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 pm

No wine this weekend. Tequila!
I have to post or Harry will yell at me.
Milagro reposada- very smooth sipping tequila.
Don Julio blanco - one of my favorite, because its well balanced not too sweet or too sharp.
Sam
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 am

Isaac C wrote:Galil Yiron 2009 - always love the Yiron wines and this one did not dissapoint

+1

Friday night:
Galil Yiron 2009 was great.

Shabbos Day:
Tishbi Estate Cabernet 2007 was ok. I think I need more acidity with this one and possibly a little too light.
Ella Valley Chardonnay 2010 which was delightful and crisp. appley peachy and very faintly buttery.
Glenrothes alba reserve for dessert.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Yossie - this is a serious mess!!! That along with the other SV Syrah from that vintage, and I have yet to even touch the 04 Ortal merlot - this is messed up! So much for the drink-bu dates.

Harry - the Reca Syrah here is mevu - so it dulls the wine considerably, compared to what that wine tastes like in Israel - such is life!

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm

2009 Yarden 2T - Love this burly, funky, yet smooth silly creation(Truly oxymoron) Smells like could b.. Yumm BIG & Powerful
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet - as always My wife takes over after I do Kiddush and I drink something else.. :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:2009 Yarden 2T - Love this burly, funky, yet smooth silly creation(Truly oxymoron) Smells like could b.. Yumm BIG & Powerful
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet - as always My wife takes over after I do Kiddush and I drink something else.. :)

Yosh - not sure how u can drink the 09 Alexander Cab - to each their own, way to "sweet"/"overripe"/date driven for me.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Liked the 2007 Carmel Petite Sirah with braised meatballs - drink this wine up!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/04/16 ... meatballs/

David
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:29 am

David Raccah wrote:
Yehoshua Werth wrote:2009 Yarden 2T - Love this burly, funky, yet smooth silly creation(Truly oxymoron) Smells like could b.. Yumm BIG & Powerful

Yosh - not sure how u can drink the 09 Alexander Cab - to each their own, way to "sweet"/"overripe"/date driven for me.

David I know you didn't like the Alexs but I don't think they were as "dated" as you do.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 am

Really Andrew? You like Alexander Winery Cabernet?

Interesting,
David
Next