The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Koch decks Greenberg- $12 million in punitive

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Koch decks Greenberg- $12 million in punitive

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:00 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-1 ... trial.html

Here's a good article from Mike Steinberger (before the punitive damages were awarded, but with a link to transcript of closing arguments)
http://winediarist.com/the-wine-trials-an-update/
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Koch decks Greenberg- $12 million in punitive

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm

And so the dominoes begin to fall.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I am confused why people still refer to him as Rudy Kurniawan and as Indonesian. Wasn't it established that he's actually Chinese and named Zhen Wang Huang? As hard as I try, I can only muster so much sympathy for Bill Koch, but I still view this decision as an important one.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I am confused why people still refer to him as Rudy Kurniawan and as Indonesian. Wasn't it established that he's actually Chinese and named Zhen Wang Huang?

Because he established a significant identity as Kurniawan, and to drop that identity would be, in essence, to let him escape public shaming?
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm really worried about the authenticity of the $10.99 bottle of Languedoc red I just bought. Who should I turn to?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Kelly Young wrote:I'm really worried about the authenticity of the $10.99 bottle of Languedoc red I just bought. Who should I turn to?

Post it on the forum? Or on Facebook? :lol:
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:16 am

Kelly Young wrote:I'm really worried about the authenticity of the $10.99 bottle of Languedoc red I just bought. Who should I turn to?

Ah......Red Bicyclette I assume.

Read more at http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/ ... kYybCZr.99
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:46 pm

I think criminal fraud charges, and jail time, are in order here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I am confused why people still refer to him as Rudy Kurniawan and as Indonesian. Wasn't it established that he's actually Chinese and named Zhen Wang Huang? As hard as I try, I can only muster so much sympathy for Bill Koch, but I still view this decision as an important one.

Koch's lawsuit against Rudy said that was his real name, but did it say he was actually a Chinese citizen? Suharto prosecuted ethnic Chinese Indonesians and required them to acquire "Indonesian" names. So lots of Chinese Indonesians have 2 names. In any case suits usually use the name that the person used at the time. People sue John Wayne, Mark Twain, Albert Brooks (real name Albert Einstein!), Marilyn Monrie, Balthus, etc. I have no knowledge one way or the other, but his name is probably the least incriminating thing.

While its hard to feel sorry for either side in a battle of the billionaires (well, at least onetime billionaire in Greenberg's case), EG came across as a super a#%hole. I'll tip my hat to Koch for his doggedness, it's ultimately a plus for the wine world. And hey, at least he's better than his brothers! :)

What I'm trying to figure out is if I met Rudy K briefly. in 2005 I was at a big goodbye dinner for a friend moving to UK to study for his MW. About 2 dozen people at Bayard. There was a young Asian guy surrounded by young Acker-olytes. Someone referred to him as "doctor" (at the time, I thought maybe he was a doctor). He blinded group with a mag of Burgundy (nothing superspecial, something like a 1987 Rene Engel). In retrospect figured it must have been Rudy. If so, this was about point where he went from a huge buyer to a huge seller. Maybe he was auditioning the Engel to see if it was a good candidate for being becoming a 78 or 85 DRC. :)
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 am

Not really related, but interesting. Just read this article in the New York Post-
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/that ... cVonpeqhyJ

Salute
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I know a guy who is an expert on that type of wine, he also sold me some shares in the Brooklyn bridge at a great price. Want his ph. #?
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 am

Lou Kessler wrote:

I know a guy who is an expert on that type of wine, he also sold me some shares in the Brooklyn bridge at a great price. Want his ph. #?

Sorry man, I beat you to the punch. Just purchased the Bridge for $3,000.00. Going to celebrate with the $70.00 bottle of Petrus he sold me.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Kelly Young wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:

Sorry man, I beat you to the punch. Just purchased the Bridge for $3,000.00. Going to celebrate with the $70.00 bottle of Petrus he sold me.

Damn! Crime doesn't pay, not like it used to!