The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Chianti new color paper seal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Chianti new color paper seal

by Gary Bobier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Does anyone know why Chianti changed the paper seal from pink to light green. Also, what is the meaning of the of all the numbers on the seal.

Gary
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Chianti new color paper seal

by Victorwine » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Gary,
The “seal” you are questioning I believe is just a “remaining” tax revenue stamp. Stamps where used mainly to indicate that the “excise tax” was paid. Different stamps or seals were issued for storing or moving wines (tractability). The bar code system, which has been used since 1985 more or less, did away with stamps or seals. (Some countries and states however still use them for certain “sin” items.)

Salute
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 pm

No, he's referring to the DOCG seal on the neck of the bottle. All DOCG wines have it, thought only CC has the rooster- does any other DOCG have a particular symbol? Never noticed. All have numbers, which I assume are lot numbers, the equivalent of German APs.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 am

Dale Williams wrote:No, he's referring to the DOCG seal on the neck of the bottle. All DOCG wines have it, thought only CC has the rooster- does any other DOCG have a particular symbol? Never noticed. All have numbers, which I assume are lot numbers, the equivalent of German APs.

Lots of AOC, DOC, AOP, and other alphabet groupings have offcial symbols. Spain has some great ones. Italy. France. All sorts of Consorzio symbols all over Italy.

The "pink strip" for Chianti Classico actually came about, I believe, as a replacement for the Gallo Nero, the black rooster symbol which had been used to identify and market CC, but was "lost" in a trademark dispute legal case. Later, the Consorzio switched back when the winner of the case voluntarily released the rights to use the Gallo Nero.

Have no idea why the change in color, except possibly that other groups have been using that same pink strip so it's not as commanding as it used to be. But don't know. Then again, I usually am mystified by most changes in things Italian, as they don't always make a lot of sense. 8)
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 am

I recently found a greenish strip, round the bottom of the capsule on a DOC Laguna bottle. It seemed clear to me that it indicated a tax had been paid - it stated the amount. It also said "DOC", so presumeably DOC wines have different tax rates from other wines.

I have never seen such a strip before, so I would presume it is a new thing. Before, for Italy I have only seen strips on DOCG wines - they were pink and I don't think they has anything to do with tax.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Dale Williams wrote:No, he's referring to the DOCG seal on the neck of the bottle. All DOCG wines have it, thought only CC has the rooster- does any other DOCG have a particular symbol? Never noticed. All have numbers, which I assume are lot numbers, the equivalent of German APs.

Hmmm...yesterday I bought a bottle of Sicily's only DOCG wine. I'll go look and compare.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Does the Gallo Nero (Black Rooster) symbol represent that a given Chianti Classico producer is a member of the consorzio (or alliance)? Or has it become a symbol for the entire CC Zone? There was a time when the symbol did have some significance (or gave “clues” about the wine you were purchasing, someone once told me the border circling the black rooster gave clues whether to “cellar” or “drink up”).
The DOCG issuing and changing the “design” of the strip seal does make sense. It more or less “controls” the amount of DOCG wine produced or released into the market to a certain degree. (Instead of just having DOCG stated on the label). DOCG wines can only be sold in bottles 5 liters or less. A 5 liter bottle broken down to “standard” 750 ml bottles (I assume) will not have a DOCG strip seal.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

According to their website, 95% of the Chianti Classico denomination is part of the Consorzio Vino Chianti Classico, whose trademark is the Gallo Nero.

-Paul W.