The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

George Vare Passes...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

George Vare Passes...

by TomHill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Just found out that George Vare died this last weekend. So sad...we've lost a pioneer.
Most folks probably don't recognize his name. He spent much of his wine career has a high-level exec at BeaulieuVnyds. He retired from that to become co-founder of LunaVnyds w/ JohnKonsgaard....which helped to put Sangiovese and PinotGrigio on the map in Calif...I guess. But his most notable contribution to the Calif wine industry was the popularization (I guess...at least from my perspective) of RibollaGialla. George & his wife made a visit to Friuli some yrs ago and fell in love w/ the variety and decided it should have a place in Calif. He planted a small vnyd of it just North of Napa and, to give it some traction, sold his crop to a number of different/talented winemakers to see what they could do with the grape. They ranged from bright/clean as a whisk varietally-correct Ribolla to murky/funky/full-blown orange wines.
I met George at the FriuliFest event the last two summers. A wonderful old gent with always a twinkle in his eye and an easy laugh. And always encouraging of up & coming winemakers who he thought had talent. I'll hoist a Ribolla tonight in his honor.
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: George Vare Passes...

by Craig Winchell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Hard to believe. I spoke to him a few months ago concerning purchase of a press. Unfortunately, the wine industry is not immune to mortality.
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

Re: George Vare Passes...

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Sounds like a very interesting man! I hope his vineyard remains planted to Ribolla Gialla.