Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

After..Higher / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 am

b"sd
Yes;it's definitely true, life has its ups and downs.Those we undertsand and those we don't.Those parts we can work on and those that are out of our hands.
What's important is to keep on. Not to let the lows bring us lower;rather to always try and go higher from where ever we currently are.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: After..Higher / WeeksEnd wine

by Mark Lieser » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Friday nite: Psagot Edom 2010
Shabbat lunch:
Bravdo Chardonnay 2011
Dalton Reserve Shiraz 2009

Not a complaint on any of them
Shavua tov,

Mark
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Yarden Merlot 2008 and Psagot Edom 2010.
Shabbat lunch - Gvaot Herodion Vineyard Dance 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Harry, folks, Shavua Tov!

Friday night:

Tavor, Adama, Gir (Limestone), Sauvignon Blanc 2012: Another great unoaked white wine from the 2012 vintage and from Tavor winery as well! :) I'm starting to believe that 2012 was an exceptional vintage for the Israeli unoaked whites and it might be the case for the reds as well, at least based on my few experiences so far with the wines that I've barrel-tasted and made by Lewis Pasco (his own wines as well as the wines he helped making at Hillel Manne's Bet El winery).
Very pale straw, almost as clear and bright as water with on the nose typical and refreshing notes of yellow citrus fruit such as lime and citron along hints of freshly cut grass. Light to medium in body with on the palate lime, yellow grapefruit, fresh grass, parsil herbaceousness, rocky minerals and some pleasant salinity with beautifully bracing acid giving it a very good kick as well as a delicious limy bitterness that lingers on the moderately long finish. Yum, bravo!

Eden, Wild Red 2008: Somehow, after the lovely experienced that I had on Yom Haatzmaut I went out of my way to look up more bottles of this wine and so, my efforts paid off! :) I got 5 bottles and couldn't resist to open one for shabbat. Once again the red pears were there and I noticed how sweet this wine actually is though it's more sweet fleshy dates and not raisins, thus many people probably wouldn't like it as much as I do. Anyway, a special that I love and I'm happy to have now another 4 bottles sitting in the cellar for further occasions.

Shabbat luch:

GHW, Yarden, Yonathan Vineyard, Syrah 2007: I though it was my turn here to check this wine out and see how it is doing at this stage. Well, Jon Tabak was spot on! This wine is still quite youthful and will probably hang around a few more years however it is VERY sweet and it will most certainly get even sweeter as it ages. Very dark purple, almost black with on the nose sweet plums and blackberries as well as smoke and sweet, toasted cedar wood. Full-bodied with on the palate super ripe sweet blackberries and plums, along mediterranean spices such as cinnamon and vanilla with some loamy dirt, sweet cherry liquor (think Heering), dates, leather and sweet dark chocolate with integrating tannins lingering on a very loooong finish. Very sweet, lots of alcohol (15,5% Abv!). I liked it but not loved it (as opposed to almost everybody else at the table that were blown away).

Teperber, Silver, Late Harvest Riesling 2010: As always, a nice and solid though simple dessert wine.

I will be travelling to the USA over the next coming 4 weeks (4/24 - 5/19) and will be spending quite some time in NYC and California (mostly in LA) as well as one day in Chicago. If anyone would like to catch up over some good wine please PM me.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2008 Tzora, Judean Hills (HM): Delicious. But the 15% alcohol does leave its mark on one's clarity afterwards.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 am

Yarden 2009 syrah- nice wiine , cinnamon, black cherry. Drink now .
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am

Sam - you really think the 2009 Yarden Syrah is drink now? WOW! In Israel a few months ago that wine was nice and drinkable - but not going anywhere in the next two or three years. Though, I will agree that it is not a wine for cellaring.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:28 pm

This weekend we had the 2009 Tzuba Metsuda and short ribs. The 2009 Tzuba Metsuda is a nice enough wine, but it lacks the complexity to make it shine. Drink within the year.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/04/21 ... ised-ribs/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Harry,

Elvi Herenza 2008. Definitely interesting

Shavua Tov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Steven, Elvi, and to some extent Capcanes, proves that very good kosher wine, at a reasonable price, can be made around the world! Totally agree on the Herenza, given its middling price.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Ok. Here I disagree with both of you Dave & Sam. IMHO the 09 Yarden Syrah still a young child and will cellar well for quite a few years, 2017-18 perhaps longer.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:36 am

Hi Harry,

Asif Classique 2009 - This wine is a blend consisting of 69% Semillion and 31% Sauvignon Blanc. The Semillion is coming into its own, shaping this wine into one that is round, devoid of sharp angular edges, featuring pleasant notes of apples and pears. In the background, the contributions of the Sauvignon Blanc are clearly felt, displaying notes of citrus and cut grass. Overall, this wine has progressed nicely from the previous time I had did, though I still don't sense much complexity, which might yet be forthcoming. 13.5% AbV. B-/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir Fagan Creek Block 38 2005 - The wine shows an abundance of cherry cola flavors on a thin bed of oak. It never quite developed the complexity to justify its reserve classification, nor does it hint at the potential of a Pinot Noir. Regretfully, I've stocked up on Hagafen's reserve Pinot Noir, and I must now work my way through my stash. This is not bad wine, but the pleasure diminishes as it becomes monotonous. C+/*/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm

we enjoyed

the latest vintage of the Capcanes La Flor (opened a bit off but ultimately was very nice and refreshing)
2006 Castel Grand Vin - very nice
2007 Carmel Kayoumi cab - very nice as well
2007 Carmel Sha'al gewertz - ditto...
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Harry,

Friday night I put a bottle of my 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon on the kitchen counter for opening during the meal, but then I was forced to replace it with a mevushal wine that I had. I was initially going to go with a Cantina Gabrielle red Dolcemente, which is a family favourite, but decided to go with an Argentinean Tempranillo that I had picked up at the liquor store earlier in the week...big mistake.

2011 Emuna Tempranillo, Argentina. Mevushal. This wine had absolutely no taste, just alcohol. Very unpleasant mouthfeel. It lacked acidity, which made it difficult to give it a second chance with another sip. The bottle had the symbols for 4 different certifying agencies, so the only good thing I can say about this bottle was that it was definitely kosher!

Last night I opened up the BBQ season in Ottawa with the bottle of my 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon that I had originally put out for Friday night. It went nicely with the burgers we had, which surprised me. Its still a bit tannic, but has lots of fruit and well balanced acidity.

Adam
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 pm

2009 Carmel Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon - Quaffer yet decent
2011 Ramon Cordova Rioja - Much better second day and then liked very much
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hi Harry,

Asif Classique 2009 - This wine is a blend consisting of 69% Semillion and 31% Sauvignon Blanc. The Semillion is coming into its own, shaping this wine into one that is round, devoid of sharp angular edges, featuring pleasant notes of apples and pears. In the background, the contributions of the Sauvignon Blanc are clearly felt, displaying notes of citrus and cut grass. Overall, this wine has progressed nicely from the previous time I had did, though I still don't sense much complexity, which might yet be forthcoming. 13.5% AbV. B-/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir Fagan Creek Block 38 2005 - The wine shows an abundance of cherry cola flavors on a thin bed of oak. It never quite developed the complexity to justify its reserve classification, nor does it hint at the potential of a Pinot Noir. Regretfully, I've stocked up on Hagafen's reserve Pinot Noir, and I must now work my way through my stash. This is not bad wine, but the pleasure diminishes as it becomes monotonous. C+/*/N

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more

Alas, I have been hoping for the Prix Pinots to come around and this is not an encouraging tasting note. I will open one soon and let you know my take. To this point I have been disappointed.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

This Shabbat we opened:
1. Covenant Lavan Chardonnay 2009
2. Landsman Pinot Noir 2011
3. Four Gates Zinfandel 2011

The Lavan was delicious as usual. The Landsman Pinot showed well once again and was the best received wine of the night. It is a delight to partake of a good kosher California Pinot as there seem to be so few and my guests were wowed.
The Zinfandel was a real bruiser on this night with firm almost searing taninsand not as jammy as I remember with a nice layered red/black fruit/spice profile. It could not have been more different than the Pinot and perhaps this was not the night to open this but it is my kind of wine.

Three marvelous wines and a great Shabbos.

Shavua Tov!!
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Jonathan K wrote:Alas, I have been hoping for the Prix Pinots to come around and this is not an encouraging tasting note. I will open one soon and let you know my take. To this point I have been disappointed.

Jonathan,

I'd love to get your take on these Pinots. So far I haven't had kosher Pinot that improves with age, and that applies to the Four Gates Pinot, as well. I'm not a member of the Landsman club, so I didn't have theirs. I'm still going to give the AlexEli another shot.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi; had a strange experience. Two bottles that were opened a week ago and didn't enjoy -segals fusion 2012 found enjoyable. And binyamina bin shiraz was still alive. Strange indeed. H
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

by Sam M » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Ok. Here I disagree with both of you Dave & Sam. IMHO the 09 Yarden Syrah still a young child and will cellar well for quite a few years, 2017-18 perhaps longer.

Best,

GG
David Raccah wrote:Sam - you really think the 2009 Yarden Syrah is drink now? WOW! In Israel a few months ago that wine was nice and drinkable - but not going anywhere in the next two or three years. Though, I will agree that it is not a wine for cellaring.

The wine was ok but was so ripe and the acids and tannins fading. I wouldn't trust it for long.
It could have been the bottle. I have never had it before. I had the 09 merlot and absolutely loved it.

Sam
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

by Sam M » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Harry J wrote:Hi; had a strange experience. Two bottles that were opened a week ago and didn't enjoy -segals fusion 2012 found enjoyable. And binyamina bin shiraz was still alive. Strange indeed. H

Harry,
I had the Segal fusion in Jerusalem last month and to my surprise, found it to be very drinkable.

Sam
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Enjoyed a weekend in Paris.
Fri night/Saturday lunch - purchased some wines from a kosher grocer in the 17th arrondisement, two unfamiliar Bordeaux in the 10-12 euro range. One was from Graves and the other from Saint-Estephe and both were very food friendly. I obviously forgot the names.
On Sunday night enjoyed a delicious fish dinner at Kavod off the Champs Elysee', together with a half-bottle of Chateau De Mole 2010 Bordeaux. Great wine, and at 14%abv a little heftier than the other two wines I had tried.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Celebrating my 30th birthday, I opened a Hagafen Prix Cabernet MJT 2005 with Sous Vide RIbs and a 2.5 lb Sous Vide Ribeye. The wine was exquisite, full bodied, tons of dark fruit, concentrated, a really great wine. It was delicious right away and continued to improve while drinking.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:41 pm

This Shabbos we gave kiddush to celebrate the birth of our daughter on February 18, so on Friday night I opened a Galil Mountain Pinot Noir. Shabbos morning, on the other hand, was a VERY different story. We had quite a few options for people. There was a 1974 Springbank bottled by Dun Bheagan at 31 years old. Man, I love Springbank. I opened a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label, but not much of that was consumed. I opened an 18 year old Van Winkle Reserve bourbon that was bottled for Park Avenue Liquors (bought this one about 10 years ago) - even some of the scotch drinkers went nuts over this one. There was a Glenlivet Nadurra from the very first releases - that went down fast. I opened a 17 year old Mortlach that I received as a gift for Purim - what an underrated example of excellence. There was a bottle of George T.Stagg - the 140 proof release. There was Pyrat XO rum, Maker's Mark, Redemption Rye, Auchentoshan 3 wood, Johnny Drum Reserve, Johnnie Walker Black Label, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, Twisted Tea, Angry Orchard Crisp Apple cider, and another bottle of Pinot Noir. I think that is everything. I was busy greeting friends and pouring, so I did not get very inebriated, although a couple of friends left rather happy. I was a little surprised and very gratified at how well the Van Winkle went over - I don't often get scotch drinkers fawning over a bourbon.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Next