The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Frenchies...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Frenchies...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Tried these two French wines over the last two days:
1. AlainVoge LesPayrouses AC: Cotes du Rhone (13.5%; 100% Syrah from Cornas/StJoseph) 2011: Dark color; strong Syrah/blackberry/blueberry slight earthy/dusty/lavender bit rustic slight Rhonish/roasted slight alcoholic rather Calif-style pleasant nose; soft some blackberry/Syrah/blueberry fairly smooth slight earthy/rustic flavor w/ modest tannins; med. rather blackberry/Syrah/blueberry light rustic/earthy pleasant finish w/ light tannins; a pleasant enough Syrah but not much NorthernRhone character; far better than most CdR but not up to the StCosme CdR '10; a pleasant enough CdR (because no Grenache) but not tempted to buy more. $21.50 (SFW&S)
2. MaisonRoche de Bellene AC: Bourgogne PinotNoir VeillesVignes (www.MaisonRocheDeBellene.com; #55,044 of 78,600; 13%; Vine Age: 56-88 yrs; LoosenBros/Salem/OR) NicolasPotel/Beaune 2010: Med.color; pleasant PN/black cherry somewhat pungent/earthy/dusty/loamy very slight pencilly/oak nose; fairly tart light black cherry/PN bit lean/bitey/harsh/tannins flavor; med. earthy/dusty/loamy slight black cherry/PN rather lean/tight/austere finish w/ light agular/bitey tannins; a rather lean/tight/bitey Burg w/ not much fruit but pleasant enough if you have to drink Burgundy. $21.50 (SFW&S)
1. It always gets my goat when those Burgundy folks start using American labeling terms. The wine says Bourgogne....that, by definition, is PinotNoir. They invented varietal labeling in California and the Burgundians have no right to put PinotNoir on their labels in a blatent attempt to take advantage of the gullible American consumers. Is nothing sacred anymore??
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Two Frenchies...(short/boring)

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 pm

TomHill wrote:...the gullible American consumers...

At least they didn't translate pinot noir into English.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 am

Rahsaan, you de man!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 am

TomHill wrote:The wine says Bourgogne....that, by definition, is PinotNoir.

Not quite true, in theory. Unless there has been a change in the last two years, wines from Beaujolais cru villages, therefore made from Gamay, have a right to be labelled Bourgogne instead of the village name. In practice, I don't think that this right is ever used because Moulin-à-Vent, Morgon, Fleurie........are more saleable products than simple Bourgogne, excepting those from some prestigious Côte d'Or growers.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 am

Varietal labelling was invented in Alsace (or so I've read -I wasn't alive yet).
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Eric Texier

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

by Eric Texier » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 am

Quite a lot of bourgogne are a blend of gamay and pinot especialy coming from the Cote Chalonaise.
I have had in my hands a bottle of 1928 Santenay "Pinot Noir".

One guy at RAW last year in London asked me why I was growing australian varietals in the Rhone...
Last edited by Eric Texier on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 pm

2. MaisonRoche de Bellene AC: Bourgogne PinotNoir VeillesVignes (http://www.MaisonRocheDeBellene.com; #55,044 of 78,600; 13%; Vine Age: 56-88 yrs; LoosenBros/Salem/OR) NicolasPotel/Beaune 2010: Med.color; pleasant PN/black cherry somewhat pungent/earthy/dusty/loamy very slight pencilly/oak nose; fairly tart light black cherry/PN bit lean/bitey/harsh/tannins flavor; med. earthy/dusty/loamy slight black cherry/PN rather lean/tight/austere finish w/ light agular/bitey tannins; a rather lean/tight/bitey Burg w/ not much fruit but pleasant enough if you have to drink Burgundy. $21.50 (SFW&S)

Was in Seattle last week picking up wine, and got a spot-invite to a tasting of the entire Bellene line-up. The assistant winemaker was there. You capture the Bourgogne perfectly. Not a lot of THERE there, but nothing wrong it. The line-up was rather uneven (a premier cru that was more concentrated than the Grand Cru, and a really excellent Puligny Montrachet that drinks like a Grand Cru but isn't) but they apparently haven't locked in strategic, long term sources yet and so these came from a hodge podge of sources.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov