The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fair Price for '99 Rieussec

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Fair Price for '99 Rieussec

by Tom Troiano » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 am

Long story but I'll keep it short. A friend in another country has 4 bottles (750s) of '99 Rieussec in my cellar. Its been near impossible for him to get them from me and he asked if I'd like to just buy them.

What do you think is a fair price given that I'm doing him a favor and I don't need it (I have 6 bottles of this wine) but I don't want to screw him either.

Wine-searcher seems to indicate $60-$70 a bottle but this seems somewhat low to me.

Thoughts?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Fair Price for '99 Rieussec

by Fredrik L » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Long story but I'll keep it short. A friend in another country has 4 bottles (750s) of '99 Rieussec in my cellar. Its been near impossible for him to get them from me and he asked if I'd like to just buy them.

What do you think is a fair price given that I'm doing him a favor and I don't need it (I have 6 bottles of this wine) but I don't want to screw him either.

Wine-searcher seems to indicate $60-$70 a bottle but this seems somewhat low to me.

Thoughts?

If I sold them at eBay in Europe, I would be lucky to get 200 USD for 4 bottles.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks!!

Is that somewhat a reflection of the economic conditions in Europe? Do you think $60 per bottle is fair?

Thanks!!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:12 am

I'd say $60 a bottle (for a wine you're not searching for!) is quite fair, even generous. CT shows a community average value of $42.74*; Wine Market Journal has average price (including all premiums) of $51.75**. If he sent to auction (not that any house is going to fool with 4 bottles) he'd be lucky to net $40 per. Plus Ben at Celllaraiders has at $55, so why would you expect to pay someone more than a reputable merchant is selling for, if you're just doing a favor?

* CT community average tends to be low, as many folks buy on release, but it's not like prices on '99 Sauternes have soared.
**on a curious side note, Wine Market Journal shows average of $56.00 for 1.5L. I don't have a full WMJ subscription, so can't check, but would guess only 1 or 2 lots sold in mag, and one had visible damage.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 am

Dale,

Thanks! Part of my confusion here is that several/many sites don't actually say whether the listed price is for a 375 or 750.

$50 per bottle (for a 750) just feels low to me and that's why I wanted to ask this group.

Thanks!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 am

Cellaraiders is clearly 750 for $55, I can't imagine anyone is paying $60 for a half (JJB has for $40, I'd call that high retail).
Dessert wines don't seem to appreciate much, outside of legendary vintages of Yquem and QdN Nacional or the like. I have quite a few 2001 Sauternes, but most show auction value not that much above what I paid (I'm happy to have gotten early for provenance reasons, but not for economic). My only 1999 Sauternes (certainly not a superstar vintage) left is half bottle of 1999 Doisy Vedrines-looks like I paid $14, WMJ shows $14.32. :cry:
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Thanks!!

Is that somewhat a reflection of the economic conditions in Europe? Do you think $60 per bottle is fair?

Thanks!!

No, it is a reflection of the fact that Sauternes does not sell like hot cakes. If it is not a top vintage, nothing except Yquem moves. Hell, I can even get a 97 Yquem for less than the release price...

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L