Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is the greatest pizza you've ever had?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

What is the greatest pizza you've ever had?

by Jeff B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm of the belief that pizza is the world's greatest food. It never fails to hit the spot and is, by nature, a blank canvas for any or all desired toppings.

What is the greatest one you've ever had? Where was it? What was on it? Was it a thin crust or something deeper?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: What is the greatest pizza you've ever had?

by Shaji M » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 pm

All of them..Pizza is like that other thing..sex!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 pm

OMG, you had to ask this question!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Shaji M wrote:All of them..Pizza is like that other thing..sex!

I can accept that. :D

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm

As mentioned above, 'greatest' is impossibe. But, one that still sticks in my head (and my mind's palate) was a foccacia pizza topped with thinly-sliced zucchini and a fresh ricotta-like cheese. I had it in Milan and I had been very hungry before, so of course that adds to it. But it was a style that I don't usually get at home and everything about it was so well done that it sticks in my mind almost 10 years later.

Aside from that, the most memorable pizza I've had recently was a taleggio, red onion, and pistachio pizza. This was remarkable because I had never thought of putting crushed pistachios on pizza. And although I use taleggio all the time at home, I usually put it on top of a tomato sauce but this pizza used the milky taleggio as the wet component (a 'white' pizza). It all worked perfectly. This was at Pizzeria Toro in Durham, NC.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 am

Since True Love developed her "cow milk" allergy which includes all cheese made of it, we've made some very interesting discoveries. You don't have to use Mozzarella to make good pizza. Right now we have settled on Casia d'Roma and Pecorino Romano combo. May not be the world's best, but still very delicious.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

My most memorable pizza was a sausage pizza at Santarpio's in East Boston. It's a New York-style thin crust pizza. They make their own sausage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm

I will once again put in my vote for the home creation of the deconstructed pesto pizza with spinach.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:03 pm

For me, simplicity rules the day. The most memorable pizza I've had was a thin crust, Napolitano 4 cheese pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven. The taste of tomatoes in the sauce, the char of the crust and the various cheeses came together memorably.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:04 pm

A hand made thin crust pizza with three cheeses, and a home made sauce, with fresh summer tomatoes and lots of fresh garlic. A locally owned pizza joint made it for a long time, then they became very successful and started tossing in all sorts of pastas, calzones, and other stuff. Now they are so busy, nothing has the same quality it once had, when they were small. :( . It was a "go to" easy meal for me when unexpected company came out of nowhere. Everyone raved about it, even folks from much larger cities with lots of great places to eat.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

We have a certified Neapolitan Pizzeria here in town (complete with a Bocce court) that has a pizza called the "Cortona" that is to die for. Coppa, olives, chili, roasted mushroom, farm egg yolk & mozzarella with a classic Neapolitan crust. Makes me hungry just thinking about it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Bottarga, fennel and tomato at Otto's in New York City.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 am

Pepperoni pizza from Arni's Pizza King, Market Square Shopping Plaza, Lafayette IN. ' Nuff said.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 am

Sam Platt wrote:Pepperoni pizza from Arni's Pizza King, Market Square Shopping Plaza, Lafayette IN. ' Nuff said.

Was this preceded by heavy doses of alcohol? I'm just havin' a tough time getting my arms around world class pizza in Laff-a-lot.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

Sam Platt wrote:Pepperoni pizza from Arni's Pizza King, Market Square Shopping Plaza, Lafayette IN. ' Nuff said.

Sam,
Arni's is distinct from the Pizza King franchise, though both put out similar products. Should I schedule an offline for there? As the commercials say, "Meet you at Arni's!" :lol:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Arni's is distinct from the Pizza King franchise, though both put out similar products. Should I schedule an offline for there? As the commercials say, "Meet you at Arni's!"

Just say "when", Mark! I was raised on Arni's Pizza and still love the stuff. They have opened lots of new locations, but I still think Market Square is the best.

Redwinger wrote:Was this preceded by heavy doses of alcohol? I'm just havin' a tough time getting my arms around world class pizza in Laff-a-lot.

It is true that "'tater-n-grits" pizza isn't offered at Arni's or any location up north in the lands that are identified only as "Here be Dragon" on all maps made south of Martinsville. If you ever set out on an adventure headed up the old Six and Five Road stop by Arni's and try one of them city-slicker pizza flavors like "cheese" or "sausage". :D
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

The pizza I will always remember and one I have duplicated several times at home is one we had in Boston at Todd English's restaurant Fig's. For whatever reason he has taken it off the menu though! Thin, but crispy/chewy crust, topped with chopped clams, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese and parsley. So good.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

Carrie L. wrote:The pizza I will always remember and one I have duplicated several times at home is one we had in Boston at Todd English's restaurant Fig's. For whatever reason he has taken it off the menu though! Thin, but crispy/chewy crust, topped with chopped clams, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese and parsley. So good.

Sounds outstanding. No white sauce, just olive oil and cheese?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Carrie L. wrote:The pizza I will always remember and one I have duplicated several times at home is one we had in Boston at Todd English's restaurant Fig's. For whatever reason he has taken it off the menu though! Thin, but crispy/chewy crust, topped with chopped clams, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese and parsley. So good.

Sounds like he stole this from Frank Pepe in New Haven. Itsa good ah-beets.
I haven't been to Pepe's since they expanded to multiple locations, so no idea if the quality has slipped or not. Maybe it is best not to know and remember it how good it was....and no white sauce, just freshly shucked littlenecks..
Last edited by Redwinger on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Redwinger wrote:

Sounds like he stole this from Frank Pepe in New Haven. Itsa good ah-beets.
I haven't been to Pepe's since they expanded to multiple locations, so no idea if the quality has slipped or not. Maybe it is best not to know and remember it how good it was....and no whits sauce, just freshly shucked littlenecks..

Pepe's clam pizza was indeed a revelation for me, but likewise it's been more than a few decades since last I sampled it. No idea if the quality has fallen.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I visited the original Pepe's a year or two ago. Still excellent. Don't know about the spinoff locations.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I like the Yonkers Frank Pepe's, maybe a step behind the original, but 10 minutes away is better than close to 2 hours. :)
The clam is reason to go, though I like the tomato/mozzarello, or the summer fresh tomato. That style pizza does poorly when people decide to get lots of toppings.
I always get amused by people's complaints on sites like Yelp re Frank Pepes ("the crust was thin, you couldn't fold it", "it was cut weird", "the edges were BURNT!")
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 am

Jenise wrote:Bottarga, fennel and tomato at Otto's in New York City.

Bottarga? That one sent me off to the dictionary! Really??? I may have to turn in my "foodie" badge...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Naah, Fred, you're just never too old to learn--right?