Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Looking for kosher restaurants in the Tel Aviv area

by YoelA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Will be in Israel later this month for a few weeks and my wife and I are looking for some new places to eat out.

Last trip I was trying Georgian restaurants but did not find any that I would heartily recommend.

We have enjoyed eating at Lilyot, Meatos and Goshen, which are about as expensive as we would like to go, and had a nice inexpensive meal at Guetta (Libyan food). Our favorite place for shipudei and the like is Achla in Petah Tikva. For lunch we like Bernstein's (?) on Nahalat Binyamin and Shimon Melech ha-Marak in the kerem.

Looking fior restraurants that are reasonably priced and have tasty food. Ambiance is not a factor so long as the place is clean. For one thing, I am interested in places that have good fish dishes but my wife is looking for meat restaurants since she can't eat meat out where we live. But living where we do, we don't need recommendations for Chinese or Thai restaurants.

Suggestions welcomed.
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Looking for kosher restaurants in the Tel Aviv area

by Mark Lieser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 am

For fish, Deca is fantastic - however, I should caution that it is not cheap.

Vino Socca in Hertzliya is outstanding, but also pricey. The Olive Leaf in the Sheraton is excellent, and not quite as expensive. Just above Meatos is a dairy place called Uno that I have had good experiences with.

For a fun bit of nothing fancy, but tasty, I'd go to Dr. Shakshouka near the shuk in Yaffo.

Mark
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am

Thanks, Mark. We have been to Dr. Shakshouka. The portions were so large that they almost had to roll me out of there.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Sorry Yoel, just saw that. First, whatever Mark said I heartily agree with. Vino Socca I haven't tried yet but given Yossie's and Mark's recommendations I believe it's great. I had a great meal at Olive Leaf two months ago. BTW get yourself a bottle of 08 Ella Valley CabSav while you're here, great stuff and QPR, and Olive Leaf have BYOB. If you can't make it to my shop in Jeru, even though I won't be there anyway I may recommend a place in TLV where to get wine (all K that said).

Now regarding restaurants in Jeru:

1) La Régence at KD Hotel.

2) Scala at David Citadel Hotel.

3) Rooftop at Mamilla Hotel (go there anyway even just to check it out, view is priceless).

4) Cañela on Shlomtzion Hamalka St

Enjoy!

GG
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

by Mark Lieser » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm

One tasty home style place in shuk ha'carmel/kerem ha'teimanim - kubbeh, couscous, Yemenite food - seating on the street: Etzel Tzarum. I believe on Rechov Yiskon.

Courcelles patisserie - on Ibn Gvirol - go more for the pastries.

Enjoy, and shavua tov.

Mark
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, Mark. We will be staying near the kerem; will try to locate that restaurant. For years my wife's family's favorite place in the area was the Lev Harahav on Rabbi Akiva but they said it has gone downhill in the past few years and they have stopped eating there.