The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner @ Le Turon, Tours, Central Loire.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Dinner @ Le Turon, Tours, Central Loire.

by Noel Ermitano » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 am

Back in Tours after the long day in Amboise and Chenonceaux visiting the royal castles there (lunch in Amboise, but no wine since I had to drive right after). Catha, tired and not wanting to gain weight, told me she'd skip dinner. Thus, I took the boys walking again to rue Lavoisier in hopes that Les Tuffeaux was already open (we had eaten here back in 2006 and it was very good). It was boarded up - I figured for the week-long vacation after Easter. We, thus, rounded a corner onto the old rue Colbert to find a good place to eat. The nicest looking restaurant on the long, narrow road was Le Turon (94 rue Colbert 37000 Tours, France), so we entered.

The water bottles all looked like this.

Oeufs en Meurette avec Foie Gras for Lorenzo to start.

St-Jacques en Brochette for Mauro.

Terrine de Foie Gras Maison et Tartare de Poires au Miel - One each for Joaqi and I.

Cheers!

500ml carafe of house Montlouis-sur-Loire Sec which was pretty decent.

For mains: Seared Halibut for Joaqi (para healthy).

Andouillette for Lorenzo (para adventurous).

l'Agneau de Sept Heures (7-Hour Lamb) for Mau & I.

The prices for all the dishes were very inexpensive. The same went for the wines on the wine list. Not familiar with the Loire reds on the list, I just picked out the most expensive (relatively) one and crossed my fingers.

It was a 2011 La Grange Tiphaine Côt Vieilles Vignes Touraine - I was particularly curious about this since I don't think I've ever had a 100% côt (i.e., malbec) from the Loire before (from southwest France many, but never from the Loire). Incredibly dark, super deeply-veined (must be very old vines), pure black fruit with notes of kirsch, raspberry and soft, moist tobacco. Hint of black pepper too. Rich, generous, lush, but not ponderous. Pretty full-bodied but not hot with alcohol. Robust wine with a good middle and finish. Pretty good and went well with the very tender, moist lamb.

Mauro's Crème Brûlée (I recall hints of dried coconut flakes in it).

My Assorted Desserts Platter. Meh.

Renzo & Joaqi had the Molten Chocolate Cake w/ Ice Cream.

On the under 1 km. stroll back, it drizzled lightly. That didn't stop us from passing by the Tours Cathedral for a look-see and a couple of photos though. Great day; and I especially enjoyed having dinner with my boys.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Dinner @ Le Turon, Tours, Central Loire.

by James Dietz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 am

I think I like your last line the best.... it's what's important...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Love travelling "with" you, Noel. So no problem having wine served to your underage boys in France? Impressive.

(Note to self: practice stacking toast like that.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm

James Dietz wrote:I think I like your last line the best.... it's what's important...
Thanks, James. Yes, it definitely is.

Jenise wrote:Love travelling "with" you, Noel. So no problem having wine served to your underage boys in France? Impressive.

(Note to self: practice stacking toast like that.)

Thanks, Jenise. In France, at 18 years of age one can purchase alcoholic beverages anywhere. Mauro turned 20 this recently past 16th April (a day after we returned from France); while Lorenzo is 18½. Joaqi is just 13, but, since I am his parent and I pour him the wine, it is legal - for so long as he doesn't get drunk (which he doesn't). The boys grew up drinking wine for taste, not for the effects. Joaqi, so far, likes champagne and favors whites. He's not fond of reds (well, not yet, anyway).

Once in a while, Lorenzo went off to bars on his own in France, sometimes with Mauro, sometimes not. Once, in Tours, all three went to a bar after dinner (without Catha and I). They just had some beers as they already had wine at dinner. No problem. Nobody asked Joaqi's age. I guess it's difficult for them to get a handle on the age of Asians.

Best to you both,

N