The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2010 Hourtin-Ducasse (Haut Medoc) QPR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2010 Hourtin-Ducasse (Haut Medoc) QPR

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 am

Deep ruby color, edging into the purple realm. I opened the wine when i got home from work, and just took a sip to check it. Quite tight, and not showing much. Two hours later in the open bottle the wine had started to transform a bit, filling out in the mid-palate, and gaining some deep cassis style fruit. Not too much wood here, such that the fruit plays the center role. No hint of over ripeness, and in fact something that resembles Bordeaux that I used to buy 15 years ago. It really reminded me of a 1998 from a higher tier producer. The tannins are not quite as pronounced as in that vintage, and I would not be holding this wine for 20 years to wait for maturity, but I definitely see a mid-term future for this bottling over the next 10-15 years of its life. Nice value for $20.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2010 Hourtin-Ducasse (Haut Medoc) QPR

by Howie Hart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 am

David - I re-posted your note in response to a wine home maker who was disappointed that he had to wait 15 or more minutes for his wine to taste good after pulling the cork at the WinePress forum:
http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/53512-wine-is-better-after-breathing/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

I've got to object here. If a wine isn't tasty immediately upon pulling the cork, the wine isn't going to be tasty a couple of hours later. Some breathing can help a wine resolve itself, help nuances come out, and change the balance a bit, but it isn't going to make a mediocre wine taste good.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 am

Craig Winchell wrote:I've got to object here. If a wine isn't tasty immediately upon pulling the cork, the wine isn't going to be tasty a couple of hours later. Some breathing can help a wine resolve itself, help nuances come out, and change the balance a bit, but it isn't going to make a mediocre wine taste good.

Your sentences don't follow. Who said anything about aeration improving mediocre wines.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

by Craig Winchell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 am

If a wine needs aeration of 15 minutes to taste good, the implication is that it tasted bad, or at least mediocre, up until that point. I was being charitable, in that the opposite of good is bad, not mediocre. I am not against aeration while drinking, in the glass, but in general I am one of the opposition.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am

Craig,

Not sure if you are just referring to Howie's post, but aeration helps many, many wines. It was a huge help to a 1995 Ornellaia the other night. It was a big help to flesh out this Hourtin-Ducasse.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

by Craig Winchell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

specifically to Howie's post. Perhaps it is my winemaker talking, because I look at a wine in its stages of development, and a good wine that has not resolved itself tastes good at each stage, though it will ultimately taste different from the bottle than it did immediately after fermentation, and somewhat different still at its peak of bottle development than when it was first bottled.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 am

That's a pretty contrarian, doctrinaire statement, Craig.

Not a winemaker at all, but I have had many bottles that were "tight" upon opening that became beautiful after an hour or so of air. Wines that I would never classify as "mediocre," let alone "bad" after some aeration time.

Your position is definitely contrary to conventional wisdom w/r/t wines needing to "open up".
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 am

I've had plenty of wines, both young and old, that went from mediocre and uncompelling to excellent with air. And frankly, young Bordeaux in particular has a tendancy to be rather underwhelming at first, and then blossom.

The effect of breathing isn't limited to simply taking a wine's components and making them more expressive, rather it often actually does help them to resolve those components and acheive balance.

I think the only truism is that a wine that does not have the potetial to be good will not be made good by breathing (or by anything else for that matter).

Also, I think it's important to keep in mind that there is a difference between a wine that is good because it has potential versus a wine that is good because it is pleasurable to drink.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am

A friend of mine had a nice turn of phrase when we opened a very mature bottle and it needed a couple of hours of air to show its best: "How would you feel if someone just woke you up from twenty years of sleep?"
Last edited by ChaimShraga on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:If a wine needs aeration of 15 minutes to taste good, the implication is that it tasted bad, or at least mediocre, up until that point..

It's hard to believe that you don't distinguish between a taste of wine at one point in time and an overall evaluation of that wine in general.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

I wonder if Craig is stuck on the words "taste good." It implies the wine previously tasted truly bad versus just closed in/muted.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 pm

FWIW, the wine was even better tonight.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 pm

David B wrote;
FWIW, the wine was even better tonight.

This reminds me of what an “old Italian” amateur winemaker once told me. To gauge or predict the “aging potential” or “cellar time” of your wine- open a bottle and every day check to see if it is “improving”. Each day that it seems to “improve” is equivalent to a “dog year” of “cellar time”.

Salute
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 am

Victor-don't tell Craig that. :D