The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Your last-wish wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Your last-wish wine?

by ChaimShraga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 am

A colleague posed the following question:

If you could choose drink the final bottle of wine that you'd drink in your life, which would it be?

Psychologically, it's different than the desert island question. One bottle, the bottle you want to contemplate on while awaiting your demise. I also thought of a few variations:

1. One bottle from your collection.
2. A line up from your collection.
3. Choose any wine it would be reasonably possible to purchase.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: Last Wish Wine

by Jim Grow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 am

I'd choose a German TBA from a great producer and recent good year. Since my demise is hopefully 20+ years away, this bottle should be in great condition and ready to drink then. Maybe a Robert Weil or Vollrads.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Once upon a time I did not care for pinot noir, but signed up for a special wine tasting featuring eleven 1990 Burgundies (all poured and laid out in front of me at the same time in proper stemware), and which lineup included two DRC's and a Leroy. I did not expect to love the wines--I'd never had burgundy before, only Cali pinots--but signed up anyway considering it essential to my wine education. But love I did. I had never smelled anything so darned grand, not even close. Never before had wine contemplation made me want to become tiny so that I could swim in the bowl: smelling it, tasting it wasn't enough, I wanted immersion. The Leroy was my favorite.

Probably because it was the first time and maybe the only time I've ever been presented with the luxury I came to understand that evening was, I've never had another experience so profound. And though it may require a certain virgin state to have the same impact that it once did, if I could have another bottle of a young Leroy Auxey Durress from a rich, ripe year on the very last day of my life in which I was to taste wine, it might just convince me that if there were no heaven waiting beyond then that glass of heaven right here on earth is the next best thing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Well written, Jenise. Here's to born again wine virginity in the after-life!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 pm

2011 Clos des Briords from Domaine La Pepiére. That wine fills me with light.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:33 pm

It's kind of a grim question, but assuming the departure is of a fairly humane nature (i.e. not awaiting execution in a prison cell, where I might want something more fabulous to transport me away), I'm thinking something sentimental would be called for. Some of the wines that I first enjoyed as a winelover, maybe Foillard Morgon, Breton Chinon/Bourgueil, or zesty German riesling from any number of producers.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Myself, I'd go for a DRC, because it's something I just have to drink before I die.

If the point was to relive a wine epiphany, I suppose I'd choose a Krug or a Haut-Brion.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Your last-wish wine?

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:43 pm

2001 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese

There was a thread about last meals in the FLDG a while back. Might have to dig it up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Your question brings to mind the famous last words of the great economist John Maynard Keynes. When asked on his deathbed if he had any regrets, he replied that "I wish I'd drunk more champagne." I personally am working diligently toward not having that regret. So in answer to your question, it would be the best bottle of champagne i had.

Best to all.
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 am

How about a wine from the fountain of youth?

Seriously, it would probably be an exceptional red Burgundy for me. Maybe a Musigny or La Tache. I've never had either of these Grand Cru wines so I am assuming that I would love them with the proper producer, vintage and cellaring.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm

It's a tossup between a 20-30-year-old J-L Chave Hermitage from a good to great year, for the ethereal flavours, or a 40-50-year-old Taylor vintage port for the richness and fruit.

My two favourite tastings of all time were a vertical of Chave Hermitage (http://www.winetasters.ca/SemNotes/Chave.html) and one of Taylor's vintage port (http://www.winetasters.ca/SemNotes/taylor.html) that I ran for the Toronto Winetasters club.