Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone tried this recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Has anyone tried this recipe?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 pm

If I make it I will be making a triple batch. I can't imagine the beet greens (although I do love them) in beans. I will also add the grilled chicken.

Drunken Beans: Moosewood New Classics

Such a good recipe, easy to boot, and leftovers have been even better- had to share!

At first it seemed almost like a bean soup; I added diced grilled chicken and beet greens, let it cook down and it became a thick stew. Absolutely delicious- smoky, intense, warm and satisfying. A very easy after-work dinner- quick assembly and it just sits and simmers while you make a side and set the table.

Drunken Beans
Moosewood New Classics
Serves 4 to 6

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
12 ounces amber beer
2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
14-ounce tomatoes with juice, chopped
2-3 teaspoons chipotle adobo sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce

Heat the oil in an 8- or 9- inch frying pan. Add the onions, garlic, and salt and sauté on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Dust the onions with the cumin and continue to cook stirring continuously, for another minute or two.

Stir in the beer, brown sugar, pinto beans, tomatoes, adobo sauce, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle and the alcohol to mellow. Stir occasionally.
Ladle into small bowls and serve.

PER 7.25 ounce serving: 156 calories, 6.1 g protein, 2.9 g fat; 24.1 carbs, 5.4 grams fiber.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Has anyone tried this recipe?

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm

I've not had that, but it sounds great! If it cools down here again before we hit the real summer heat, I might whip up a batch. If I do, I'll definitely add the greens - that seems like a very good modification.

(Where did those little diamonds with the question marks in them come from?)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Mike, not sure about that...it was a copy and past from Simple Recipes. which was a copy and paste from another site.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 10, 2013 7:30 am

I could eat that. Might add a dash or two of smoked paprika, too. 8) Thanks for posting, Karen!

I think those little diamonds show up in connection with non-alphanumeric characters (like an accented e or fractions) when files are copied between Mac, PC and other operating systems that don't have entirely compatible systems for odd characters.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 am

Karen,
That is a traditional Mexican dish: frijoles borrachos ("drunken beans" in Spanish). They're delicious and can be eaten with a plate of fresh tortillas. Because yours is a Moosewood recipe, it's vegetarian, but traditionally you'd see some smoked pork (ham hock or bacon) and maybe sausage in it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hi Mike, not sure about that...it was a copy and past from Simple Recipes. which was a copy and paste from another site.

Karen, I googled and found the same recipe on a bunch of sites, and tweaked your original to get rid of the diamonds. I hope that's okay. :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 am

Strange, the diamonds you speak of do not show up on my screen.

What about if I substituted Swiss Chard? Would that work as well as the beet greens? I have a ton of it in my garden....
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 10, 2013 11:37 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Strange, the diamonds you speak of do not show up on my screen.

What about if I substituted Swiss Chard? Would that work as well as the beet greens? I have a ton of it in my garden....

Since Swiss Chard is basically beet greens, I can't imagine that it wouldn't work (yes, they're a bit less earthy, but that's about it). FWIW, I saw those diamonds, too.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 pm

I see the diamonds with the question mark on my printed copy, but not the post.

Thanks, I have a pot of it going right now. I did not have canned pinto beans so used an heirloom dry bean called, Eye of Goat. They are small, rather pinkish, and very tasty. They are almost cooked, will add them to the rest of the ingredients, which are smelling really good, right now. :)