Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Learning the hard way

no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

Learning the hard way

by Elchonon Hellinger » Sun May 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Theres an oft repeated saying "ignorance is bliss" I have found that to be a great guide in my wine journey. I know almost nothing in textbook wines, and I want to keep it that way for the near future. Rather than feeling intimidated by the wine experts, I stand shoulder to shoulder and feel this is a great education.

Every one has different smells and different tastes, as the CEO of a cell phone business, I often forget why any on would want a phone other than the one im using ?

I love the hands on education, absolutely there is no more fun than tagging raccah, hotowitz or polterak at a tasting and no "oh theres too much / too little acid / tanin / oak yada yada yada" but more like "so why is this wine overloaded with pepers / earth / wood / stink like the city dumpster etc"

I have an active sense of imagination, a good wine conjures up like this singapore hotel skyline rooftop pool and you dive in.. ok not every wine is like that..but I feel that young wine novices can learn a lot by tasting and asking questions, comparing and practical tastes.

So heres a word of advice to the new wine drinkes, just speak your mind, and if the wine tastes like dirty laundry, its probably french