Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Restaurants pay for fake YELP reviews

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Restaurants pay for fake YELP reviews

by Jenise » Mon May 13, 2013 7:18 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Restaurants pay for fake YELP reviews

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 am

No way I'd do that for $50. I have my integrity.

$5000, on the other hand....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 am

Does this mean that someone actually reads internet comments?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 14, 2013 10:33 am

I don't think this is exactly news, is it? :mrgreen:

Still, I'd carefully consider the source. We just recently got a local branch of Eater.com, and folks hereabouts spontaneously dubbed it "Wanker.com." Hold the reliability, super-size the snide.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

A few years ago we got burned by several glowing Yelp reviews for an Italian place in Indy. From the decor to the service to the food the "customer" raves absolutely in no way resembled what we saw or experienced. I e-mailed the restaurant and told them that they should have the misleading reviews removed, but never received a response. I now pay no attention to any of the on-line review services. Friends and family rarely let me down when it comes to recommendations... well, friends rarely let me down anyway.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I don't think this is exactly news, is it? :mrgreen:

Still, I'd carefully consider the source. We just recently got a local branch of Eater.com, and folks hereabouts spontaneously dubbed it "Wanker.com." Hold the reliability, super-size the snide.

That YELP is full of reviews that aren't exactly objective, no. That restaurants advertise and pay for fake reviews? Call me naive, but yes. As for eater.com, I enjoy it a lot. Sure it's snide, that's what captures people attention in this new internet world. But however its done, it supplies me with news and information about the restaurant scene (in Seattle) that's not available to me anywhere else. Since you run your own restaurant review and chat site, I can understand why you wouldn't welcome it--were I you, I wouldn't either. But here we don't have a Robin Garr alternative, so eater's a big help.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 am

If we are traveling to a place where we don't know anyone, we will check out online reviews to see what is popular with local foodies. That being said, I trust Open Table a lot more than Yelp, Urban Spoon, Trip Advisor, etc.... At least with Open Table you can verify that the people reviewing actually ate there. It is amazing how many people come to a restaurant just based on what they see online - many customers in the restaurants I have worked in say they found us from online review sites. Doesn't surprise me that some shady places are willing to pay for extra good press.