Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jason Hagen » Sat May 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Too lazy to make fresh gnocchi but these vacuum sealed ones aren't bad. Browned them in some butter and placed on a little sour cream. I made a tomato sauce and added it to a mix of spice and sweet sausage cooked down in red wine.

Not sure why I can't use the "Img" to link to pics on this website.
IMG_4415 copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Not sure why I can't use the "Img" to link to pics on this website.
IMG_4415 copy.JPG

Jason, if I recall correctly, "Img" will only work with online images no larger than 500 x 500 pixels. Also, I assume you know this, but it only works for images on the Web, not in folders on your computer.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat May 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Meatless lasagna. Garden fresh spinach, peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts,etc, framed by fresh homemade pasta. Accompanied by NJ's french style bread and a 1998 Roagna Paje Barbaresco.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Report on my ham

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 pm

All I can say is excellent.....moist, tender, tasty,...I've never tasted a better ham. I made sure it was just warmed through, not hot, kept it basted and let it rest. The Greek green beans were excellent, broken down and infused with all the garlic and tomato goodness. Hasselback spuds were so crisp on the outside and buttery insides. Great meal! Now I still have about 12-1/2 pounds of ham to process for the freezer. :roll:
Just got word that next door neighbor and other good friend are having issues that require some help with meals. Thank goodness, I can pass some of this lovely ham along to others.
By the way, whoever told me about Prairie Pride Farms.....thank you. I have not had time to do a search for the posting, but you know who you are, and it was a great ham!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 am

Glad to hear it worked out so well, Karen!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 am

Very traditional Saturday night meal: broiled tenderloin steak in rasher, baked potatoes, and salad in creamy goat cheese dressing. Washed all down with a Knapp Finger Lakes Cabernet Sauvignon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:We did it! My mother loves tamales. Her favorite of the ones we made is the beef. Now she has a freezer full of them. I have never eaten a restaurant tamale that I like. But I do appreciate homemade tamales that I can occasionally find on the side of the road in Mexican immigrant neighborhood (most West Seattle and South Park). Ours taste like these

Couldn't agree more.

However, speaking of restaurant tamales that were actually good, when I was a kid we lived near Disneyland so got to go often, and my favorite restaurant there was the Cantina on Tom Sawyers Island because of the tamales. They had a whole different texture than conventional Mexican restaurant tamales, and were both longer and skinny than the fat pillow shapes more common in Mexican restaurants. It was only a few years ago that I read about a tamale tradition in the south, using corn meal instead of masa, that made me go "THAT'S what it was" that made the Disneyland tamales so special. They were actually authentic per the style of the Mississippi Delta Trail vs. the Sonora style of the hispanic community in Los Angeles where I lived. You might already be familiar, but you may not have seen this great website devoted to the tradition: www.deltatrailcom.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Dinner tonight: devilled beef ribs. Smoked some beef ribs on Friday for about 8 hours, till super super tender. Today I'll slather them in dijon mustard, then roll them in fresh bread crumbs and roast them until crispy. Will serve them with a finger salad of bell peppper and celery strips marinated all day with onions and garlic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Dinner the other night, got into end-of-semester busies and failed to post: Spaghetti with butter and sage, a dish we discovered in Alba, and sugar snap peas sauteed with ginger, garlic and Asian spice.

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 am

We did Mom's Day lunch at Pearl on the River, a lovely place owned by a neighbor of ours. For supper, my wife cooked up a dish of fresh favas fried up with pancetta and sliced potatoes. Very tasty stuff!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Dinner tonight will be grilled merguez sausage, which I made yesterday using Jenise's recipe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 14, 2013 10:32 pm

A lightly spicy Thai-style dish of Penang curry with turnip, cabbage and chunks of broccoli stem with coconut milk and red curry spice. Very fine with an offbeat, affordable Austrian pink bubbly, Markus Huber 2010 "Hugo" Niederösterreich Rosé.

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm

I made chicken tikka masala, from a diet cookbook. Onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, spices, ground up in a Cuisinart. Throw it into a crockpot. Fifteen minutes this morning when I had NO TIME.

When I got home I had some fixing to do. I took out the meat and reduced the (insipid) sauce. Added spices, salt, pepper, garlic powder. I made a roux and thickened the sauce. It tasted better and better. Then I added a cup of yoghurt (according to the recipe) and a bunch of chopped cilantro (ditto) and put the meat back in. Yum!!

I have some extra long grain Basmati, pretty special stuff, and cooked that with some saffron (and a tiny touch of annato).

We had company and they really liked it. Unfortunately no pictures...
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 am

Thai yellow curry chicken with basmati rice. Went well with a 2011 Barrel 27 Rose from Paso Robles. Satisfying dinner on a very warm evening here!
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am

I picked up some baby zucchini with the flowers still attached on Sunday, so last night they went into a simple risotto with some onion, garlic, basil, and parmigiano.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Mirza Ghassemi, a Persian dish of eggs scrambled with chopped roasted eggplant, chopped tomatoes, loads of garlic and Southwest Asian spice.

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat May 18, 2013 2:30 am

An autumn weekend in the country and what better lunch by the fire than a mushroom omelette
made with local organic eggs, mushrooms (field and saffron milk caps) foraged on an early morning stroll, and fresh
herbs from our garden.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 am

Comfort food for a chilly drizzly May evening: smashed potatoes and broccoli with a Kenny's Kentucky Cheddar Mornay.

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 am

Tonight's supper was rigatoni with green garlic, chard, Italian sausage, and favas. For dessert, I made Bellini sorbet, with fresh peaches (found some good ones in the market today) and Prosecco. The sorbet is still fairly loose and I'll be curious to see whether it hardens more overnight or not.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 20, 2013 2:18 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:...fresh peaches (found some good ones in the market today).

I found some nice apricots yesterday, too. I think it's odd to find good apricots in late May.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:...fresh peaches (found some good ones in the market today).

I found some nice apricots yesterday, too. I think it's odd to find good apricots in late May.

That is surprising. The apricots I've seen at our markets so far have been harder than I'd like.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am

Tonight's dinner will be Chinese red-cooked chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Late spring dinner: Roasted fresh asparagus and tiny new creamer potatoes in an asparagus broth velouté flavored with olive oil and lemon and fennel pollen.

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Redwinger wrote:Meatless lasagna. Garden fresh spinach, peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts,etc, framed by fresh homemade pasta. Accompanied by NJ's french style bread and a 1998 Roagna Paje Barbaresco.

Man that sounds good!!!!
PreviousNext