The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another Nice Burg

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Another Nice Burg

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

With grilled chicken tonight I opened an '09 Jean Monnier & Fils Pommard-Argillieres 1st Cru with a 1 hour decant. This was showing nicely with evolved tannins and deep dark fruit. Recently had the '09 Beaune Montrevenot from the same producer, though not quite as impressive as the Pommard, it was worth the price of admission. I've found most of his wines to be better than average. They seem to be available on WTSO or in the Total Wine stores. Buy if you can find.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Another Nice Burg

by Joshua Kates » Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks, Richard,

That's good to know; I sometimes purchase Burgundy from WTSO. Any info on the Francois Gaunoux, which they have been running lately? (I know not Michel, the Gaunoux you really want, but 2010 1er cru for $30-5 is hard to resist.)
Also did you catch the 2010 Volnay Sous La Chappelle, made by Champy? It looks pretty promising.

All the best,
Josh
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 am

My experience is that the 2009s from the lesser appellations are all punching above their weight. Burgundy can often be a crapshoot, but this is a vintage with many values.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 am

Joshua Kates wrote:That's good to know; I sometimes purchase Burgundy from WTSO. Any info on the Francois Gaunoux, which they have been running lately?

Joshua,

I took the plunge and bought a few bottles of the Gaunoux. The 60% mark down was hard to pass up.

I now have approximately 20 bottles of red Burg that I have purchased from WTSO and have yet to taste a single one. All of the other wines I have purchased from them, and tasted, have been quite solid. Most of my WTSO purchases have been white Burgs, Champagnes, and some Cabernets.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm

The 09 Burgs have been pretty darn good. One possible exception, at least so far, is the Philippe-Le-Harde Mercurey 1st Cru Les Puillets. I have several and opened one a few weeks ago and was slightly disappointed: the wine was a little thin and lacking the abundant flavors that one buys Burgs for. Cellertracker users give it between 77 and 90 points with an 86% "Liked It" rating out of 12 users. I expect I'll try it again in a few weeks/months and hope that it was the environment/circumstances in which I had that first bottle, and not the bottle itself, that was reason for the poor showing.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
One possible exception, at least so far, is the Philippe-Le-Harde Mercurey 1st Cru Les Puillets.

I had a better experience with this wine. We served in a wine class and did the decant the night before, and the wine was memorable. I was impressed. I just ordered a case of Faiveley '10 Mercurey based on Cellar Tracker recos. Burgundy will always be an enigma, but therein lies the fascination and the ultimate satisfaction. There is no other wine in the world that beguiles like Burgundy. Persevere!
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman