Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mandolin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Mandolin

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I am currently walking around with a prominent large dressing on my thumb (yeah, stupid, I know) from a mandolin accident (she stopped just a couple of slices short and had tossed the guard in the sink, so what's the harm in doing two more 'free hand'....), and we discovered that thumb is not a good component of fritata.

As a result, I am explaining my stupidity several times a day to clients that can't help noticing my dressing, or hearing my 'Ow!" when I forget and hit the space bar with that thumb. I thought one response might amuse you.

Question: Oh, what did you do to your hand?
Answer: It was a mandolin mishap.
Response: I didn't realize you were musical!......
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Mandolin

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm

True Love doesn't let me use ours. The scars on my fingers tell the story. We still use it a lot, particularly when we need a lot of thinly sliced potatoes.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Indeed, both kinds of mandolin can be a weapon if you use them improperly.... :shock:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Sorry for the mishap Bill. Those things scare me, just looking at them. I always use my finger guard, from the start of beginning the slicing process. There is just something about slicing off a piece of one's digit and it flies into the food. You can't find it, and even if you do find it....well you know the rest of the story. :oops: Been there and it is not fun.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

I bought a really nice box grater, and I use the "one blade" side more or less as a mandoline. But there's no guard. So I bought this cut resistant glove from Williams Sonoma. Have not used it yet but I'm glad it's there in the pantry...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/microplane-cut-resistant-glove/?pkey=e%7Cglove%7C10%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C6&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

PS this is the grater, also from W-S, which I really like

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/microplane-box-grater/?pkey=e%7Cbox%2Bgrater%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm

I've seen those graters, Frank, and they indeed look great. Given that we have several cheapie box graters, a range of Microplanes, and a mandolin, I have yet to justify getting one. One of these days, though.....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 pm

I try to use the hand guard/guide, but if it gets close and I need more tactile control I use a mesh glove (it's good for shucking oysters as well)
For the mandolin, I suggest this (see about 1:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4SaNuxZO8
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 17, 2013 12:59 am

Oh, yes.

I love my mandolin. I consider it indispensable for dishes such as Sichuan stir-fried shredded beef with celery and carrots. Yes--one with sufficient skill and patience could shred the vegetables with a Chinese cleaver. I don't have that patience. The mandolin does the job with a fraction of the effort and time. But I've put a lot of scores into my thumb/forefingers (blood sometimes being drawn) while using it.

I've always found that using the guard just doesn't cut it (so to speak). So I use my mandolin unguarded. I think I need to get one of those steel-mesh gloves.

But I've found that the excellent result has always justified the temporary scarring of my thumbs.

-Paul W.