Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anybody else following the Ramsey flap in Arizona?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anybody else following the Ramsey flap in Arizona?

by Jenise » Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 am

Sounds like he finally met the ultimate in delusional restaurant owners.

http://eater.com/archives/2013/05/15/crazy-kitchen-nightmares-restaurant-claims-they-were-hacked.php
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Anybody else following the Ramsey flap in Arizona?

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 am

I guess that's one way to get attention for yourself.

Did you watch the episode?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu May 16, 2013 11:25 am

I saw the previous post on Eater.com after following your link in the YELP thread.

Not seen the programme on TV as its the US series - and was it aired as Ramsay walked out on them so it would have been a short programme?

The clips at Eater.com showed the owners in meltdown, swearing and customers* and the posts on their Facebook page seem in line with their attitude captured on film.

*http://eater.com/archives/2013/05/13/gordon-ramsay-kitchen-nightmares-amys-baking-company.php
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 16, 2013 11:27 am

Here it is for firsthand exposure to their batshit craziness:

Youtube

More Youtube

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks Mark - I am looking at it now...
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 16, 2013 11:49 am

Not quite on topic but L and I went to a Ramsey restaurant in London last month. We were disappointed. The food was well presented but tasted only fair to good; far from the great flavors we expected. Additionally, and just as importantly, the service was less than expected. I.E.: While the server could have walked around our table, instead, plates and arms were passed inches from our noses with nary a "Pardon my reach." As a result, the value of the experience was quite poor. "All show and no go." as my Dad would have said.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Very similar local event in Louisville. Well, "local" as out in 'winger's neighborhood. :lol:

http://forums.louisvillehotbytes.com/vi ... =1&t=20819
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Several of the previous shows featured bone stupid owners I'd have walked away from as being beyond hope. Nice even Gordo finally found one to give up on, what a pair of self deluding losers! Last woman I saw that approached that rabid bimbo was a buddies divorce client that had shredded hubby's clothes and killed his cat!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Here it is for firsthand exposure to their batshit craziness:

Youtube

More Youtube

Mark Lipton

I clicked on your clip, thanks for finding that. I don't have time to watch it now but did listen to the first two minutes. Was surprised to find out she's American--the heavy make-up. the obvious age difference and the things I saw in print made me think auto-expect someone Eastern European perhaps, foreign to typical American hospitality/culture, that is.

Love that they're playing the "hacked" card. Yeah, right. SURE.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu May 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Hey, who wouldn't be appalled and fascinated by this amazing train wreck of what Mark correctly calls "batshit craziness"?

It is amazing, truly amazing, how many utterly delusional people there are, willing to put themselves before a camera (and we know how unforgiving those demonic little devices are), convinced in their righteousness but revealing all their fears and insecurities and hatreds.

Mind you, it doesn't make me admire Ramsay one whit more (he is a self righteous son of a bitch in the smarmiest way possible, isn't he). As in, not at all. He's as grating and phony and arrogant here as always, with his only redeeming characteristic is his avowed mania for freshness and honesty and intensity in flavor (although that's not necessarily evident in his own franchised restaurants, so hypocrisy to thine own self be true?).

Thing is...haven't we all known bosses like that? And co-workers? And yes, more than once, with distressing frequency in fact, restaurant owners? (Those of us ITB know too well the ugliness behind the scenes, often restaurants that have good business reps, always at restaurants that don't.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Very similar local event in Louisville. Well, "local" as out in 'winger's neighborhood. :lol:

Coincidentally, I've heard a number of folks in these parts refer to that woman as bat shit crazy...I'm on her restaurant's FB feed and find it hard to argue with that assesment

NJ's has a hairdresser appointment on Tuesday. The hairdresser is located right next door to this restaurant, so I'll ask her to get the low down on all this.

Hey, everyone knows that barbers and hairdressers know all the local gossip.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Very similar local event in Louisville. Well, "local" as out in 'winger's neighborhood. :lol:

Coincidentally, I've heard a number of folks in these parts refer to that woman as bat shit crazy...I'm on her restaurant's FB feed and find it hard to argue with that assesment

NJ's has a hairdresser appointment on Tuesday. The hairdresser is located right next door to this restaurant, so I'll ask her to get the low down on all this.

Hey, everyone knows that barbers and hairdressers know all the local gossip.

Durn, 'Winger, I had no idea your little corner of paradise was so... interesting.

Cheers from the placid Northland,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Funny, I never watch that show -- but I happened across the beginning of the Amy's Baking Company episode and got kind of hypnotized by this woman's craziness. I just watched the rest of the episode on YouTube.

It's interesting how often people like her think God is directly taking an interest in everything they do. I hope she's wrong about that or I think maybe He is as crazy as she is...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 16, 2013 3:51 pm

That couple should never be around other humans. I wonder if they have any friends. How have they stayed in business this long?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

We watched the whole thing last night. At first, my wife thought some of the stuff had to have been staged, particularly the confrontation with one of the customers the night before Ramsey arrived. She was thinking that there's no way people like that could stay in business for any length of time. I ended up checking them out on Yelp and you can indeed find a review that Amy mentions on the show that was back in 2010. You can also read several other bad reviews and the comments she and Samy posted back in response to them. It all fits in with their behavior on the show.

The Yelp site mentioned that they are "temporarily closed". With any luck, they've sold the place and it will re-open under new owners. I just hope Amy doesn't decide to start working as a veterinarian, what with her ability to "speak cat" and all.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 am

Incredible. I just watched the whole thing.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Durn, 'Winger, I had no idea your little corner of paradise was so... interesting.

You mean they don't have coup de Tats in W. Lafayette?

The couple in Arizona are amazing.

It amazes me how some business people use social media. There's a thread on another board about Hedges winery in WA (I've had one of their CSM, thought it was ok). A guy named Dan Hammer posted a negative note on a Hedges wine on CT (and tweeted it to his 100 or so followers). Hedges tweeted back they were sorry he didn't like it, and would like to send him another bottle. Hammer was surprised and pleased. Except then out of the blue Christophe Hedges posts a snide "open letter" on their Facebook page putting down Hammer. Not only does he come across as arrogant and patronizing, but he admits his employee offered a replacement bottle, but says they will not send it.

Now, I had a moderately favorable opinion of Hedges before. Even if I had known Dan Hammer posted a negative note, wouldn't have affected my view at all- his palate and mine are FAR apart. I wsn't searching for Hedges, but it was in category "I might order in a restaurant, or if I got a good deal offered." But now it's in the category "sorry, I'd just as soon spend my money on a wine that's not owned by a dickwad."
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 am

That Venn diagram is great - and there are others besides Amy and Samy who'd fit right in with it.

I wonder if they're going for a reality TV show of their own?

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Youtube

More Youtube

Mark Lipton

:shock:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Now, I had a moderately favorable opinion of Hedges before. Even if I had known Dan Hammer posted a negative note, wouldn't have affected my view at all- his palate and mine are FAR apart. I wsn't searching for Hedges, but it was in category "I might order in a restaurant, or if I got a good deal offered." But now it's in the category "sorry, I'd just as soon spend my money on a wine that's not owned by a dickwad."

Agreed. Living here, this is good to know, thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 pm

"The requested topic does not exist." Que pasa?
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 am

I was reading about this somewhere else and some where speculating that she really has a psychological condition such borderline personality disorder.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 am

And I know which side of that border she inhabits!
Next