The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Motley mix

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Motley mix

by Mark S » Sat May 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Assorted wines from the past 6 months or so that never saw the light of posting before<

Clos du Marquis, Saint Julien, 2000
Cassis and black raspberry on the nose-palate, maturing nose. Add in some sweet tobacco. This is much more open than an earlier bottle a few years back. I feel it is reaching an early plateau of maturity. Nice. A-

Donnhoff, Schlosbckelheimer Felsenberg, Riesling-S-Trocken, 2001
Deepening gold color. Petrol nose, with petrol, wet slate on the palate, along with quince and rosehips. Surprisingly soft and round despite having excellent acidity. Rather full, and a bit straightforward. Feels like a middle-ager. 12% A-

Carbone, Aglianico del Vulture, 'Terra dei Fuochi', 2008
Balsamic tobacco smoke and tar on the full nose. Black cherry preserves, basket straw, tuffa and a finish of sour black plums. Aggressive tannins. Very good for the $14 pricetag and something I would buy again at that price point. 13.5% A-

Faiveley, Gevrey Chambertin, 'Craipillot', 2004
Nothing crappy about this wine. Not showing much evidence of the 'green meanies', being a very clean low-key Burgundy. Strawberry and light cherry flavors with a savory herbal finish. Drinking well now, I see no reason to keep these. Very fresh tasting. 13.5% B+/A-

La Demoiselle de By, Medoc, 2009
Blackcurrant and loam on the nose and palate, full of vibrant youth with a smidgen of oak on the finish. Simple, decent Bordeaux that won't break the bank at $15. Drink now and for the next 3-5 years. 13.5% B+

Domaine Jean Masson, Vin de Savoie, Apremont, 'Cuvee Lisa', 2011
Light fresh mountain wine, spring florals with a chalky finish. Like cupping one's hand and drinking from a pure spring-fed stream. 11.5% Yum.

Charles Audoin, Marsannay, 'les Longeroies', 2009
Aspirated cherry stick nose. Cool unsweetened cherry Kool-Aid powder, powdered tannins with a stony finish. Tastes more like a 2008 than a 2009. Perhaps it just needs some more time? 13% B+

Ezio Voyat, Rosso, 'le Muraglie', 2006
An obscure vino da tavola from the Valle d’Aosta, Ezio is no longer with us but we can still share wines from the estate he left behind that his family still makes, if you can find them that is! This is blend of Petit Rouge, smaller amounts of Dolcetto, and Gros Vien. Black-red colored. Has a dull, thickish nose of baked plum and washed clay or clay slip. In the mouth, the thickness comes through but the wine provides a buoyant liveliness with high-toned red and black fruits, slight iodine like Beaujolais can have, Christmas cookie spices. This is good, but not great, particularly for around $40US. Glad to have the experience, though. B+
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Motley mix

by James Roscoe » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the notes Mark. It reminds me that we need to see you sometime soon! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Thanks for the notes Mark. It reminds me that we need to see you sometime soon! :D

Like Tom Bodett said, we'll leave the light on for you. Let me know if you have any plans in the area; sadly, no plans south anytime soon :(
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for the Felsenberg note. There are a couple resting in the cellar.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon May 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Thank you for the notes, Mark.

The Voyat does sound interesting, though as you say, kind of pricey. I had to look up Gros Vien, and it is the same as Vien de Nus. Can't say that I have seen any wines so far where this is the predominant grape - if it ever is anything more than a blending grape.