Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's talk about roasting pans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Let's talk about roasting pans

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 pm

I am preparing a buffet for 40 and needed to brown the chicken braciole . Not having a roasting pan to accommodate the entire lot I borrowed one from a friend. Large, deep and non sitck.....a big mistake. The meat was done way before it browned. I deglazed the pan with some chicken stock and browned the juices over high heat in a separate saucepan, some what saving the appearance but I wonder if there is a roasting pan that would do the trick ? What steps do you take and what pan gets a good brown before finish
I did not use my thin bottomed SS roaster- not large enough. Like wise the Le Creuset Dutch oven. Should have bit the bullet and did multiple batches browning the rolls first then finishing them off in the oven but I didn't have all day. The other option was to crank the oven to 500 which burned the oozing stuffing. Che disastro !!!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Let's talk about raosting pans

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm

For a one-off purpose like this, I go to a big grocery store and peruse the selection of one-use foil pans.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Offhand, it seems to me that doing them on the stove top in batches would be the best way to go. Time consuming, though, as you said.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Tough one. Sear in advance somehow. Buck up and batch it.

Or would it be possible to cook through first to semi-done in the oven then crank the heat and turn frequently. Or do the same in the broiler after pre cooking?

I can't even imagine cooking for 40!