The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austrian, French, US, Italian, German,Portugese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Austrian, French, US, Italian, German,Portugese

by Dale Williams » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

With grilled tofu in a ginger/citrus marinade, brown rice, and salad, the 2010 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kabinett. This is Spatlese sweetness, but good acids, apple and lime with a floral finish. B+

Some friends and their dog came over for dinner Wednesday, We greeted with the NV Tribaut- Schloesser “Tradition” Champagne. Bright but simple, a bit heavy of the dosage, B-

First course was mushroom crostini, with the 2007 Fevre “Bourgos” Chablis GC. Full, rich, seashell and flint. B+/A-

Main course was flank steak, snow peas, and barley
1999 Havens “Bourriquot”
Brambly dark berry fruit, a little hint of vanilla, a touch of barnyard. Fully mature and drinking well. B+

1999 Carlo Giacosa “Narin” Barbaresco
Modest fruit, slightly raspy tannins, a touch clipped. It ain’t Bruno! B-

2007 Ramos Pinto “Collection” (Douro)\
ripe, sweet, a bit simple. B-/C+

Thursday was seared scallops, brown rice, green beans with tomato, and salad. The
2010 Henri Darnat “la Jumalie” Bourgogne Blanc was on lighter side of Chardonnay, but with good acids, bright pear and citrus fruit, decent finish for under $15. B

Friday was “Danny Kaye’s Chicken Salad” and grilled king oyster mushrooms. Wine was the 2010 Neumayer “Zwirch” Gruner Veltliner (Traisental Reserve Este Lage). Very good with spring pea, apple, and flower notes, good round mouthfeel, good match with the food, nice stuff. B+/A-

Sunday was Mother’s Day, and with Dave in UK it was up to the Basset Hound to give Betsy card and present. I helped by doing dinner We started with lobster salad, with the 2010 Vocoret Chablis. Lighter styled, some chalk and mineral over modest yellow fruits, moderate acids, ok length. This was inexpensive and a decent deal. B

Main was grilled porterhouse with potato salad and arugula. Normally I’d have gone with a bigger red, but Betsy had opened the 2011 Umathum Zweigelt Saturday while I was drinking Bordeaux in the city, so went with that. Very purpley color, black raspberry fruit, bright, lighter tannins, nice wine (though not what I’d normally pick for steak). B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Austrian, French, US, Italian, German,Portugese

by Jenise » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 am

Had that Ramos last week as well; I'd go with the C+. :)

What's "Danny Kaye Chicken Salad"? I remember the actor....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Jenise wrote:What's "Danny Kaye Chicken Salad"? I remember the actor....

Poached chicken, Danny Kaye's recipe as recounted by Jacques Pepin. We've been doing this for years:
http://kristinsfavoriterecipes.wordpres ... anny-kaye/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:What's "Danny Kaye Chicken Salad"? I remember the actor....

Poached chicken, Danny Kaye's recipe as recounted by Jacques Pepin. We've been doing this for years:
http://kristinsfavoriterecipes.wordpres ... anny-kaye/

That looks utterly fantastic, thanks for the link. I do several versions of cold chicken salad, and they're a bit different from this. Time to diversify!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov